Software to calculate net profit?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by kingstreet75, 28th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kingstreet75

kingstreet75 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input on this question.

First time buyer.
    Is there a site or software so I can input all the rates, fees, agents fees etc to get a net amount representing profit?

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Excel? Or a calculator?

The hard part is understanding what profit is. What do you mean by profit? What is deductible and what is not? What is or is not a capital expense?

3. kingstreet75

kingstreet75 Well-Known Member

I think I mean a template. I am not sure of all the different costs as I have never owned property. So, an excel template. By profit I guess I mean finding out the net %.
    From the little I know, there are rates, stamp duties, agents fees and not sure what else.

4. meni

meni Member

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Garbage in = garbage out. If you dont understand what a cost is you will affect the calcs. The more complex it gets the more error that will occur.

Profit is a very subjective thing. In many instances a property has costs which arent even paid eg depreciation and cap allowances. But the deduction reflects as cashflow. Appears like a tax loss however but its a DEFERRED outgoing...Why do I say that ?? Because each $1 of depreciation claimed eventually increases the capital gain by 50cents. But it gets a 30cent+ cashflow benefit today.

I havent seen a calculator that can handle that yet. Also some CGT costs may attract Div 43...which ones ?

We have a property estimator tool which assists modelling a new purchase. We also have another client tool for determining yield and returns on a property and a portfolio basis. Neither is perfect and to be updated in the next few days

Attached Files:

Erica likes this.
  6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Stamp duty might be capital or expense depending on state.

Rates might not be deductible if the property is not available to be rented out.

% of what? Cost? Market value?

What about depreciation? Do you have a qs report?

You see the problem here.