Technology & Social Media Social Media and the trollers

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 14th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hi all

I am pretty much on 2 investment forums .... here you have it my social outlet/media

I am pretty fortunate not too many issues with trollers and bullies.... but I am not a young woman, I can deal with this .... water off a ducks back

But for those who are young, vulnerable how do they deal with ongoing harrassment bullying? The people that dont have the tools to deal with this.....

MTR

2. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

use less of it and don't post anything controversial , teach my kids not to use it and I told them social media doesn't really bring them any benefits just wasting time and bring you head ache.

I rarely use it myself, lead by example and my kids don't use it much either more time for exercise and do other stuff.

ellejay, Propagate and MTR like this.
  3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Log off and stop reading it.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

5. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Stop using it, put the phone down, disconnect - doing this can be tough for some young people, fear of missing out FOMO gets them.
    There are detox/rehab centers specifically for this, usually a nice relaxing place in the bush somewhere, no electronic devices allowed - amazes me these places exist and make a profit!

6. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

It is an interesting phenomenon. I would rate myself as high on the tech-savy scale (mini resume: I'm 42, got into computing at high school, have an IT degree, have been working in networking for almost 20 years) and yet I consider myself out-gunned in this respect. I used the social media platforms as they emerged, but they certainly werent the focus of my life. I kind of stopped at Facebook as it does what I need it to do - mostly connecting with actual friends that I dont get to see as much as I would like. But "kids these days" live and breathe social media, and it is embedded in their psyche.

I have a 10yo, and 8yo twins, and I feel so very under prepared for the social media #$%#storm we are approaching. We had a presentation at school by a cyber safety expert and I came out of there terrified. I suspect there was some cases of over stating the significance (no specific stats were presented on, for example, the number of kids playing Roblox, vs the number of instances of grooming, or the number of instances of exposure to (very) inappropriate material. Whether the stats are similar to the real world instances of, say, the number of kids attending church being groomed etc.

What I do know is I am not (yet) in a position to monitor and intervene at the level I will need to, and more work on my part is required. Even away from the extreme end of the scale, bullying seems to be more prevalent on the internet - easily observed by the trolling and aggressiveness on any news feed facebook page.

Cheers,
    inertia.

ellejay likes this.
  7. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

be the troll ??
    but seriously.

depends how you grow up, tbh kids now days grow up to protected, (mine included)

I group up as a minority in a constitutional racist country.
    you learn to be thick,

its the internet, who cares what they say ( i cannot stress for kids how important this line is)
    its the battle of 2 sides, you just have to understand whats important

also
    if you haven't been to 4chan or forums like that.. you dont know what trolling is.

even twitch now days is getting sick, i mean toxic.

anything on instagram or facebook or forums like this, just ignore it ?
    even better.

Dont use it. trust me, you wont be missing out.

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Problem is there are many who do care what the trollers/bullies say.... evidence has been recent suicides

9. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Facebook and Insta are cancer

mikey7 likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Not on any of these and no interest whatsoever

FB used by many business it serves a purposes I guess

Lindsay_W likes this.
  11. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The only question to ask yourself is ,which generation will become ""Unlinked First"" very few of these platforms may not be around within 5 years -as most find out most of the social media inflicted pain comes from people who once cared about you in your life..

12. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

5 days off :)

ta
    rolf

Lindsay_W likes this.
  13. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

How young are we talking about?

Young kids or young adults?