So... I'm off to Dymphna Boholt's day tomorrow

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by C-mac, 21st May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Most of the doctors I met were almost clueless about wealth creation. Book smart, not business smart. Huge difference .

Just my opinion.

teetotal, Cactus, Ted Varrick and 3 others like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think @Bran does not fit this category, seems street smart

Sackie likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Of course not all. Definitely not all. I have met quite a few and their minds tend to think a certain way, usually more scientific and rational. And investing isn't a science and often behaves irrationally imo.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'd probably go just to see what all the hype is about. Always been curious - and to see how other people experience in real time.

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Don't believe what you hear about 'asset protection' either.

6. Thorm

Thorm Well-Known Member

I've went to one of her seminar about a year ago. It was my first intro to property investing.

You get a few stories about her, her history and pictures of her with Robert Kiyosaki and Donald Trump.
    Then onto asset protection to start with a very complete web of trust funds.She goes on a lot about building growth through buying regional properties and renovating. Buying properties in the USA, and she'll show you how if you sign up to her $5k course on how to do so. Few other odds and ends.
    Her mentor program was like $12k, iirc. Gives you piles of dvds, tickets to her epic workshops in each city and the annual Dypnacon she has. People were lining up to sign on at the end and were pretty excited about it.

She does give away a couple of ipads throughout the course of the day though, so you might get lucky there :)

7. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Pay attention to the demographics. I will be interested to learn if there are higher-than-average numbers of middle-aged people and divorcees. And ask some folks if they've heard of Somersoft and Property Chat :)

Terry_w likes this.
  8. Terry_w

That would be an interesting study Steven - the type of people that go to seminars. older people and divorcees would probably be more prominent because they sometimes think they have to make up for lost time and/or lost money. another one is the seminary junkie and the spruiker groupie.

9. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I'd bet a large sum the seminar spruikers would do targeting advertising to those folks.

Terry_w likes this.
  10. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Actually, I think I very much fit the category. But I've got insight and am doing my damndest to change it. I think I've made some very big gains (mental/knowledge - not financial).

But I don't think my brain was supposed to do medicine anyway.

Edit... thinking critically about this, maybe I don't fit that category... I don't know.

11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

One Bran does investing, other Bran does medicine. They'll do fine; )

Bran and Sackie like this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Medicine @Bran cashflows investor Bran to build wealth.

Bran and MTR like this.
  13. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

@C-mac!

Had no idea you started your own property website. Congrats - looks great.

Sackie and C-mac like this.
  14. House

House Well-Known Member

And as the old saying goes, two Bran's are better than one.

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

same as 2 houses are better than 1:p

House likes this.
  16. House

House Well-Known Member

I've been to two DB seminars and did talk to a few of the people there. While they may be book smart, they sounded like the 'square peg in the round hole' types about their understanding of property investing (Negative gearing is bad mmmkay).

But the one good thing I learned was that PC existed through conversation with someone else so it wasn't a waste of time.

And then a survey one year later to see how many actually followed through with anything!

Have you read her classic Asset Protection book? If not I can send it to you :p

image.jpeg

Last edited: 22nd May, 2016
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Did you meet anyone who actually made money, I haven't. Hang on I have DB, don't know whether that counts, it's not property

18. Terry_w

Yes I have read that book and from that drawn the conclusion that she is not qualified on the topic, nor very knowledgeable. For those who have not read it, it is best to avoid.

KMD, S.T and MTR like this.
  19. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

My experience today was pretty much as @Thorm mentioned. In fact, virtually identical. The most interesting 'lean-forward' moment I has was around her Asset Protection strategies early on. I need to go away and investigate that further, but have some knowledge on trusts. @House recommended me a fantastic e-Book called 'Trust Magic'. I encourage those looking to learn more on Trusts and ownership structures to give this a read.

Otherwise, some notes on the demographics. Quite diverse; I saw all walks of life, really. Young guys and girls in their early 20's, through to late 20's, people in their 30's, 40's were probably most commonplace. A decent chunk of 50's-looking folks too.

Everyone from Tradie types to Gucci and Givenchy'd up Chinese investors were in attendance.

No direct mention of Boarding Houses, Mining Towns etc., and for every single example put up on the big-screen (usually just a picture of the physical dwelling itself), not a single suburb location is ever mentioned. Many of her students' examples/successes appeared to be regional high-yield properties; small blocks of units etc.

With her 'Economist' hat on; DB then divulged her views on where the capital cities were headed over the next 12 months or so. No real surprises - nothing too outrageous - but then the insights were very top-line only. And I respect her for her upfront caveat "these are my opinions only - go away and do your own research!". The most interesting ones were her views on:
    • Canberra. Firmly believes this will be the sleeper success story, post-election
    • Adelaide and Brisbane will 'chug along' with average but not spectacular results
    • Perth is almost bottomed out, suggests next year it might be worth a look
    • Believes Hobart is attached to the Melbourne market and doesn't see it doing much
    All in all; I'm in two minds about her. Whilst personally I won't be shelling out for her courses, I respect that she upfront mentions what 'skin she has in the game' and discloses how/where she makes her monies. Perhaps for those who are time-poor and want to get going really quickly, this kind of thing might be worth looking into. Perhaps not.

Anyway, I'm glad I spent the day if for nothing else to hear her views and ideas on Trusts, Company structures, and asset protection more generally. She paints a somewhat dystopian future that (from some futurists I've read recently) might actually hold some weight. She suggests that Australia is quickly becoming America-like in that everyone sues everyone. For this reason, she mentioned the importance of due diligence on insurances, and asset protection to avoid people suing you personally, etc.

If anyone would like further info, please ask me :)

Last edited: 22nd May, 2016
    JenW, HUGH72 and Property Twins like this.
  20. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

This. Ultimately, one Bran will achieve dominance over the other. When, and which?

Ted Varrick and Sackie like this.