So how do I start my dual occupancy property subdivision

Discussion in 'Development' started by 3354, 18th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 3354

    3354 Active Member

    17th Oct, 2015
    So where and how do I start in my property subdivision journey?

    Here is a general check list (not complete but indicative):

    Finance is your first step in any development. Don't run out of cash so do your homework and work within a cost budget

    How much should you buy a development site for? {mods: link deleted}

    The New Residential Zones in Victoria are complex when it comes to property subdivisions. Understand the council planning requirements for dual occupancies or triple occupancy in the area. Read council’s planning scheme and the schedules which apply. The scheme will let you know the minimum size of land you’ll need for your dual occ and what type of development is permissible. Check for overlays- especially those relating to bushfire where restrictions could occur.

    Property Location is paramount for a profitable property subdivision. Infrastructure, availability of services, schools, shops, recreation spaces, employment coridors, views, cultural context and transport add value to your development

    Site assessment is the foundation. Search for land that meets the dual occupancy or triple occupancy criteria. Talk to a professional. Professionals know which sites work. It’s a complex exercise best left to professionals who will be with you all the way.

    {mods: link deleted}

    Size of land is important. If it’s a duplex site, you may need a minimum of 16-25 metres frontage in mid to outer suburban rings and less in the inner areas controlled by City of Melbourne, Yarra to name two.

    Check the title, Title Plan and Planning Certificates. Check the planning certificate to see if it is in a bushfire or flood zone. You can still develop in these areas but it will add to your build costs. Check the title for covenants or agreements.

    Building Cost Budget. This is very important as the builder will look at the land from a different perspective. {mods: removed solicitation}

    Run your development feasibility to ensure the project will be viable. Run one in the reverse format to work out what is the maximum amount you should pay for a site. Of course this will not apply if you are subdividing your own home or land or doing a dual occupancy in your own backyard.

    You will need to find recent comparable sale prices from which you can base your end value estimate on this. Talk to agents about the current rental market and what rent could be expected to calculate the projected yield on completion. Most importantly, you need to have a good understanding of the build costs. We advise to do a Cost Budget to set your goals and control any overspending. Over capitalising or getting emotionally bound to a development could cost you in the end.

    Long Settlement terms help. If buying a development site, a long settlement period helps and obtain pre-consent from the vendor to lodge a Town Planning Application pre settlement.

    Town Planning and Building Permits. Once you have all the approvals, you can then go back to your lender to obtain your unconditional construction loan. As soon as this is in place, the builder can start.

    Construction. The build phase for a dual occupancy should be around four months upwards and usually around eight months for a double storey to Certificate of Occupancy stage. Once the building works are completed, an occupation certificate will be issued.

    Don’t forget to order a depreciation schedule; this is simple, just email the plans and builders tender and any other cost details to your quantity surveyor. Depreciations can be very attrtactive as long as you hold the property.

    Build Equity through the property subdivision. You can now apply for the subdivision certificate and once council issues this, you can register the subdivision (after your lender has signed off on it). There is no need to register immediately if you are planning to hold and not planning to refinance as you may find costs such as rates may be a little less if the dual occs are kept on one title.

    You may decide to “flick” one of the lots with its own title to a builder or developer who is cashed up to start building now rather than waiting for the 6-12 month period it usually takes to come to this stage. So you have built equity and value through your subdivision,

    Welcome to the world of property development and successful subdivision!

    What are the costs associated with a property subdivision?

    There are a number of costs associated with doiung a successful property subdivision. To begin with you need to factor in professional fees, council contributions, cost of land, coist to build, cost to subdivide and more.
    Last edited by a moderator: 20th Oct, 2015
    Perthguy likes this.
  2. Tenex

    Tenex Well-Known Member

    14th Aug, 2015
    Good info you have shared.

    I have had Melbourne in my mind for my next project which is likely going to be towards the end of next year. But I can get in touch closer to the time.
  3. yorkie

    yorkie Well-Known Member

    28th Jun, 2015
    sunshine coast
    Hi planning permit.
    Can I lodge a plan of subdivision my self I have completed my plans and have been certified by local council and are ready to lodge. Do I have to go through a solicitor/conveyancer or am I able to lodge in person.???
    Thanks in advance.