so , am I a speculator ?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by See Change, 5th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Recent publicity seeks to blame speculators , in part , for property price rises .

According to one definition

Speculation is the practice of engaging in risky financial transactions in an attempt to profit from fluctuations in the market value of a tradable good such as a financial instrument, rather than attempting to profit from the underlying financial attributes embodied in the instrument such as capital gains, interest, or dividends. Many speculators pay little attention to the fundamental value of a security and instead focus purely on price movements. Speculation can in principle involve any tradable good or financial instrument. Speculators are particularly common in the markets for stocks, bonds, commodity futures, currencies, fine art, collectibles, real estate, and derivatives.

I buy properties with the intent of selling some for capital gain and keeping others as long term rental properties and I time my transactions to take advantage of price fluctuations , which IMHO , are quite predictable and again , IMHO , are relatively risk free . Compared to many on the forum my LVR's and buffers are very conservative

Outsiders who are not familiar with the market may well consider what I do risky , but I don't . I'm generally buying before significant prices and often when a market is flat , as is Launceston at the moment , so I'm not forcing FHB's out of the market and last year in Goodna , they were conspicuous by their absence

So , am I a speculator ?

Cliff

2. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 5th May, 2016
  3. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

While the uneducated would hands down say that yes, you are a speculator, the reality is that no, you are not. As per the bolded section above, you gain from the CAPITAL GAINS of a property. You make an educated guess as to where the properties are undervalued....and buy accordingly, which is vastly different from someone who just buys something in a hurry, so they don't miss out.

Sackie and Eric Wu like this.
  5. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

Yes you are.

This is the speculating bit:

So is this:

You are also an investor:

"keeping others as long term rental properties"

These people are typically hedgers (hedging against rising cost of rent/property):

"FHB's"

Speculators aren't bad & clearly you're happy with your level of risk, they are one of the main types of player in financial markets. I wouldn't stress to much about it as long as you're comfortable doing it.

Barny likes this.
  6. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

No easy answer. I dont think it can be yes or no - black or white answer.
    Going by the definition and intent of the definition above ( which i would agree with) and your post, id say you are mostly not a speculator. There are too many subjective variable at play- risk, etc to be a definite...however, it can be argued that a lot of these are quantified by the market and thus cannot be seen as subjective ( eg insurance companies price risk)

I would say as long as appropriate consideration ( dd etc) is given to underlying fundamentals and held generally for longer terms this is not speculating, rather a more considered investment over a longer period of time.
    Some would say this is the difference between speculating vs investing.

Timing the market is not necessarily speculating ewither...as long as appropriate consideration is given to underlying fundamentals and longer held, i dont think it can really be called speculating- but again its varying degrees.

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

We want the masses to think its all pure speculative, high risk, hocus pocus. That's what keeps them out, and us in to grab opportunities.

Its all good.

Last edited: 5th May, 2016
    See Change likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@See Change - you're a speculative investor, not a mug punter nor one of the pack.

A business model which requires research (not just a few articles by Corolyn Cummins), research areas of interest, buy & hold lowers risk compared to someone following the pack.

Sackie likes this.
  9. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

not stressing about it . Purely curious :cool:

Cliff

Plutus likes this.
  10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I like you are a Specufester......we all are on this site...,it just some maybe more successful than others as there are different levels of skill.

samiam, Barny and MTR like this.
  11. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Perhaps. And if you are..it seems like it's working for you and others here. So, keep at it. ;)

12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Would you care if you were? ;)

But really, Speculation is the practice of engaging in risky financial transactions. I question that what you are doing is that risky. Compare to a day trader. I classify what you are doing as low risk.

skater, wombat777 and Sackie like this.
  13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Do you really care what others think?

neK and MTR like this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Exactly:)

I have been called a speculator on this forum and SS many times, could not care less.

What matters most is if you have been following a model that works, makes money then it means you are doing something right, if on the other hand you are losing money then perhaps its time to review the strategy.

MTR:)

Last edited: 5th May, 2016
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But this is your belief??? Perhaps some investors see these areas as high risk? Some investors wont buy in regional towns etc Some people believe developing is very high risk?? etc etc.

The proof in the pudding is the track record of the investor just my opinion, if they keep making money then I can only assume they know what they are doing.

Whatever you do - stay away from gurus they have a track record of getting it wrong:D

Perthguy likes this.
  16. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

From Dr Google

speculation
    ˌspɛkjʊˈleɪʃn/Submit
    noun
    noun: speculation; plural noun: speculations
    the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.
    "there has been widespread speculation that he plans to quit"
    synonyms: conjecture, theorizing, hypothesizing, supposition, guesswork; talk; theory, hypothesis, thesis, postulation, guess, surmise, opinion, notion; prediction, forecast; informalguesstimate
    "his resignation fuelled speculation of an imminent cabinet reshuffle"
    gamble, venture, risk;
    gambling;
    investment;
    informalspec;
    informalflutter;
    archaicadventure
    "a speculation on the stock market"
    investment in stocks, property, etc. in the hope of gain but with the risk of loss.
    "the company's move into property speculation"

So - am I forming a theory? Yes
    Is my evidence firm? THIS is the key
    Do I have hope of Gain? Yes
    Do I have risk of loss? Yes

Obviously it is all semantics and definitions but on these grounds it would appear that it hinges on whether you have "firm evidence" for your hope of gain. If the definition of speculation is that it be without firm evidence, then its gambling. If the definition allows for evidence then it broadens to include virtually all investing. This is because all investing involves forming a theory, hoping for gain and risking loss. How good we get at this (whatever its called) depends on how firm our evidence is and how well with mitigate and respond to those risks.

17. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Whether you're a speculator, spectator or speculum, it don't matter.
    You all just want to have a look at what's going on.

18. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

I'd vote "yes" - you are a speculator, especially if you negative gear.

The leverage involved makes it risky and the continued capital growth is unknown and can be impacted by a lot of uncontrollable factors.

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

How long is a piece of string:)

what if investors purchased properties in Sydney and Melbourne market during 2012-2014, both rising markets and they purchased because Herron Todd reported the evidence of sales/volume etc. is this speculative??

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I don't care what people call me - as long as I'm building wealth and ticking off the short term goals and moving towards my long term beauties.

Name call away.