Snapping off Broccoli stalks

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Blueskies, 1st Jul, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

I think in these troubling times we need to focus on the big issues, and for me that is the problem of excessive broccoli stalks.

Every few months I see an article with supermarkets and greengrocers complaining about people snapping off the broccoli stalks. There was time when I would think this was a bit excessive, but I am now of the opinion that the size of broccoli stalks relative to the head are getting ridiculous. I have started snapping them off myself, and often find many other remnants of these flavourless stubs left behind in the broccoli tub by other shoppers.

Big broccoli puts out press releases countering the stalks are great for stews and salads, but let's be honest, if that were the case and other stew and salad loving shoppers would happily collect them, but no they sit there rejected like the future compost they are. No other fruit or vedge have the audacity to to include the weight of plant waste in my purchase, so why does Broccoli think it can?

I encourage you join me in this act of civil disobedience to send a message to big broccoli that they need to listen to the voice of their customers, find some other use for this unpalatable detritus and stop expecting me to pay for their waste. Thank you for your time.

https://news.yahoo.com/amphtml/australians-reportedly-breaking-stalks-off-160720213.html

Lizzie likes this.
  2. noomi_nooma

noomi_nooma Well-Known Member

I love the stalks. I wouldn’t want to buy broken off stalks touched by feral buyers though.

Last edited: 1st Jul, 2022
    Stoffo, skater, inertia and 8 others like this.
  3. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Why are you wasting perfectly good food? Nothing wrong with broccoli stalks, slice em up and stir fry with garlic and a touch of sesame oil. Sublime.

Big broccoli! I mean where does it stop :eek:

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I like the stalks too, but my wife doesn't.

To take it further. The leaves around cauliflower are edible - the green bits and the leaf spines. They can be sliced up and stir fried, or made into a soup.

Anne11 and shorty like this.
  5. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

I peel off using the knife the outside hard part of the stalks and then thin slice the inner part and stir fry with the broccoli but I cook this stalk part a min or two earlier. It’s sweet and crunchy. Yes and the leaves around the cauliflowers are delicious as well.

shorty, MTR and ART like this.
  6. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Maybe the Broccoli will have go the way of the cabbage and be charged per head instead of per kg.

7. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

So you’re advocating stealing?

8. Properwin

Properwin Well-Known Member

Stalks are the best bits. Thinly sliced, stir fried. Yummy.

shorty likes this.
  9. Blueskies

Well yes, I thought that I was, but now I realise from all the posts from the stalk fans that I am actually providing a community service by removing the redundant Broccoli heads they would have been otherwise forced to purchase.

James90 and Lizzie like this.
  10. geoffw

Why? Are you growing them on your body?

So you're a stalker?

11. Blueskies

Sounds fantastic, in the great depression they made a delicious soup from shoe leather, we should swap recipes. :)

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is a person who does this crime get charged with stalking or de-stalking? :confused:

Last edited: 2nd Jul, 2022
    shorty and datto like this.
  13. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Is your name Jack?

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Wrong aisle

datto likes this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I can't stalk wondering what are you all stalking about......

datto likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am curious …. I wonder how much money they are saving breaking stalks:confused: ****ing crazy

Last edited by a moderator: 2nd Jul, 2022
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

That was my thought - 10-20c?

skater and MTR like this.
  18. geoffw

Last week, I saw broccoli for around $16 per kg. It was down almost half a couple of days ago.

At $16, perhaps half is in the stalk, and perhaps one kg per purchase for a family- so saving perhaps $8. The amount isn't much to people with money, but significant perhaps to people with big families on a tight budget.

Sometimes, it isn't even the amount that's significant, it's the psychology of saving money. Like driving 10km to save 2c per litre on petrol.

While broccoli was at that price, avocadoes were at $5.50 per kg - there's a glut ATM. A much better proposition.

And while we are on greens, there is that much-maligned vegetable, kale. I can't stand the taste of it. And while some do things to try to disguise the horrible taste, like mixing it in smoothies or baking it, I don't like to do that.

I find that it makes excellent compost.

19. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Seems like the current unsavoury economic conditions we are facing are drawing people to save in any way possible. In these trouble times do as the Romans did......use the bodily produced ammonia to rinse our mouths and launder our clothes lol..Cheers! I think the Portuguese variety was favoured. Must be something they ate.

Last edited: 2nd Jul, 2022
    SeafordSunshine and Blueskies like this.
  20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It comes down to eating seasonally (I won't by imported veges/fruit) and astutely

Sadly, we've gotten so used to everything being available all year round, which is not healthy for the body, that many have lost the ability to diverse and make do.

Anne11, ART and Scott No Mates like this.