Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Smoke alarm servicing, who has it done and who does it themselves?

Discussion in 'General Property Chat' started by Dylan33, 18th Mar, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dylan33

Dylan33 Well-Known Member

So. Who has their smoke alarm serviced and what does a service actually entail? $69 for someone to check the batteries once a year?

2. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

I do this for my QLD properties for some reason. Seems to be the norm up there. Don't do it in any other state though

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've done it ourselves for years, self-managing. Never thought it worth paying to have someone else do it.

However, for a couple of years now, we pay $69 per year (a little less as we pay three years in advance) and they come to the property as many times as necessary. Sometimes that can be three times a year. They have insurance which covers our butt more than just us doing it ourselves.

I used to scratch the date into the battery to ensure it was always showing that it was installed at the start of a tenancy. I noted it all on the lease and the entry condition report.

When we got them in the first time, something I'd not realised was in two properties we had alarms that were out of date, and some houses needed extra alarms.

So, this is one thing I'm happy that we've outsourced, and I no longer need to cart a ladder or get hubby to do so.

RiMo likes this.
  4. RiMo

RiMo Well-Known Member

+1

We've been using 1300 Smoke Alarms for a few years now. It is much more convenient for us to outsource this thing to them. They send you a reminder for the yearly inspection, check the alarms & change the batteries and they guarantee their service. A peace of mind really. The fee is a tax deduction and you can negotiate the fees if you have more than one IP.