Smoke alarm service - Geelong

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Chris Au, 16th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Hi all

Asking the collective brains trust for recommendations on smoke alarm service for a Geelong IP. Current quotes are $79 for Detector Inspector through to $89 to $99 (+GST) for others.

Who do others use? I know I can just use the agent recommended service but like to understand who's out there, costs etc.

Has anyone engaged and paid for an ongoing service directly and had the service then work with the agent for the inspections etc. I can't see an issue with it, providing I advise the PM that I have engaged such and such for the smoke alarm service?? I have directly engaged one off services/inpsections then advised the PM that x person will contact them for access to the property etc.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's less than $100, don't sweat the small stuff - what are you going to save, a round of drinks or again meal at the RSL?

3. Chris Au

Not sweating the small stuff at all. Across several IPs, costs mount and always wanting to keep my finger on the pulse.

4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I get my PM's to arrange it. Its 89-99pa. They handle access and bookings, I wouldnt bother doing it myself to save $10

josh123 likes this.
  5. josh123

josh123 Well-Known Member

My PM in Geelong used smoke alarms Australia $99

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The new (QLD) law which is being rolled out is expected to also become the norm in all states

https://www.qfes.qld.gov.au/community-safety/smokealarms/Pages/sold-leased-properties.aspx

Planning to comply prior to 2022 should be considered. All property will need a photoelectric alarm AND include hardwiring OR a 10 year non removable battery backup.

The PM service provider should be addressing more than just a battery replacement for the $99 fee.

7. Chris Au

All my IPs have the newer smoke alarms with 10 yr non-removable batteries (always helps when the tenants take out batteries because the kids burn the toast...:rolleyes:). It's good to understand what is out there and what LLs are going with.

8. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I use Detector Inspector in my company, was using another one however they didn't contact the tenants and just issued a notice of entry between 9am - 5:30pm and expected the tenants be home - really poor service in my opinion.

Most are around the $100 mark, give or take.

Chris Au likes this.