VIC Smoke alarm and gas heater check

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by ripesashimi, 30th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ripesashimi

ripesashimi New Member

Got an email from agent asking to have those two serviced.
    $99 for smart alarm, I believe that is standard price.
    For gas heater check, I found one at $199 but the quote from agent is $450. Not sure what is the difference between the two and why the wild difference.

How much do you guys pay? Any recommendation in Victoria?

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I bought a new alarm with a 10 year battery. The tenant needs to test the alarm themselves. So no cost.

I get an carbon monoxide test done every 2 years for the gas heater but usually there is a callout at least once a year and the plumber always does the carbon monoxide check on any visit. Gas heaters service including check is about $150 - $165.

3. ripesashimi

ripesashimi New Member

Do you happen to have the details of the plumber?

4. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

Is the tenant just pressing the 'test' button and hearing the alarm sound off? If so, the test is only proving that there is power going to the smoke alarm. This basic test isn't testing if the smoke alarm will actually sound off in the event of a fire and/or smoke.

Bradley Peet likes this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The SA Fire Dept thinks it’s enough to keep the alarm clean and the battery tested in the normal way (pushing the button):

Smoke Alarm Maintenance and Testing - SAMFS
    :
    ‘The only tools needed are a broom handle for monthly testing, a vacuum cleaner for cleaning and a ladder to change batteries. The use of aerosol "smoke" testing is not necessary and is not required as a test procedure for domestic smoke alarms under the Australian Standard 3786 – the standard with which domestic smoke alarms must comply. Its use will deposit pollutants on the smoke alarm sensor which, over time, will reduce the service life of the smoke alarm.’ (From link above)

Keeping it clean and testing the battery is good enough for Fire and Rescue NSW too: Smoke alarm questions and answers

It’s also good enough for Fire and Rescue Victoria too: Smoke alarms

Last edited: 1st Dec, 2020