Small extension - WIR and bathroom (Canberra)

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Cimbom, 23rd Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has a rough idea of how much this would cost? The plan would be to knock down one wall of the back bedroom and extend it out to have a WIR and ensuite bathroom. I imagine this wouldn't be too much bigger than about 10sqm in total.

I have been quoted $3000/sqm for extensions in Canberra but I presume this is for bigger jobs like adding multiple bedrooms, extra living room, that kind of thing. Would the economy of scale be much less for a small extension like this? What kind of timeframe would we be looking at for completion?

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Actually it will usually cost more per metre for smaller renos. If there is a lot of work around, you may find it hard to get someone for a small job.

Be careful, as some companies won't want to do a small job but will quote really high on the basis that they would be willing to do it if the price is high enough and the owner doesn't mind an inflated price.

3. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

That's what I was saying - it would be ~30k by that guide but was thinking they'd charge more due to it being a small job

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

It's not just the size either. Typically kitchens and bathroom are more expensive per sqm than other rooms due to the requirements around trades - plumbing and electrical. Also people often choosing more than simple paint and basic cupboards (like tiling in bathrooms :D, linear drains rather than holes in the floor, etc).
    After all, once you get to The Block levels of $500+/sqm for bathroom tiles (true - :eek:), the final cost really depends entirely on you! Your fitout level can definitely dwarf the actual base construction costs.
    Cost also depends when you want it - right now until xmas, its very hard to find anyone for anything: I just had a plastering quote to complete cornicing and skim coat on some joins in a small 3-bedder - $9500. That's with cornice and plaster supplied and onsite! The tiler has taken 3.5 weeks to do 3xwet areas :(. So if you can be flexible on the time of the reno and fit in with annual downtimes, you've got a (slightly) better chance of lower cost but a much better chance of actually getting someone to turn up and perhaps finish within 200% of the time they quoted rather than 500% o_O...

5. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Canberra + renovations = expensive!

I wouldn't be surprised if it came to more than $30k - it sounds like a pretty big job to me.

Cheers

Jamie

6. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Yes, I meant small in comparison to the size of extension projects more generally. Most I have heard of are at least 3-4 rooms. I guess there is probably a reason for that.