Skylights

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Cimbom, 15th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Hello,

Just wondering if installing a skylight (or sky window? - doesn't need to open) into an existing house is difficult or expensive?

I would like to install a large rectangular one above the dining area. The adjacent window looks out to the carport. I'm looking to install a roller door on the carport as a value add in the future but if the roller door is down, it will darken the room. I was thinking this could help with this as well as giving a bit of a 'wow' factor to the room.

It would be great to get your thoughts :)

2. Jpm

Jpm Member

We installed a small one in my parents house (bathroom) - made a massive difference!

Not sure if pitch of the roof and orientation of the block (I.e North facing) changes the amount of light coming in.

I do recall in the showroom there are now some that have LED in-built as well.

The showroom also had the rectangular 'windows' that have the electric blind attached. Looked awesome and plenty of light.

The small one cost $580 installed. Think it was called a sola-tube

3. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I think we have the tube type in the kitchen.

I was leaning more toward the window types for the dining area so we get the extra light as well as a nice feature in the room as well.