Sitting at a desk is more harmful than smoking a pack of cigarettes a day

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by jaybean, 25th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

The title is intentional, but bear with me as I make my point. I remember this sensationalist "news" being syndicated around the world a few years ago.

BS news masquerading as real news can cause just as much harm than genuine fake news. Sitting all day is bad yes. But saying it's worse than a pack of smokes? Alright, you've just lost all credibility. It makes rational people cynical. It makes people question what they're reading. When people get too cynical you know what happens? Anti-vaxxers, that's what. Then everyone loses.

Now to get to my point: I just saw this article: "First homebuyers need up to 18 years to save a deposit in some parts of Sydney"

First homebuyers need up to 18 years to save a deposit in some parts of Sydney - realestate.com.au

Seriously. Compared to what suburb? And a first home buyer? And what job / income?

I won't deny it's hard for first home buyers, but my sympathy goes in the toilet the moment I read intentionally evocative articles like this.

What I'm trying to say: sensationalist articles have the best of intentions, but cause the most amount of reputational damage.

There are genuine societal problems to do with class imbalance. But if you try to **** on my roof and tell me it's raining, then take a guess at how big my violin is.

Last edited: 25th Oct, 2021
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Unfortunately if you fall for the BS narrative much of the media love to spin, you won't achieve much in life. Most 'news' being flogged to the masses by the media is riddled with agenda, inaccuracies and sometimes outright lies. It's poison for the mind, imo.

I stopped watching/reading most of the 'news' over a decade ago. News that I do watch and read, I mostly take with a pinch of salt.

Last edited: 26th Oct, 2021
    LROB and jaybean like this.
  3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

When sites are after clicks instead of to actually inform, this is what you get.

With the internet breaking the advertising monopolies of the newspapers, it also took away the profits that allowed newspaper owners to afford some sort of journalistic independence.

jaybean likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Didn't you read the article?

"That deposit hurdle was the most pronounced in the Woollahra council area.

Those earning $161,000 a year, the average household income of residents in the affluent region, needed 18.3 years to save a deposit for a home priced at the area’s current median of $2.97 million.

And that’s not even including the stamp duty costs added on by the NSW government, which would require an additional $147,000 in upfront funds.

There was a similarly daunting deposit hurdle for first homebuyers in the Mosman area, who required 18.1 years of saving, while Waverley buyers needed 16 years."

AFAIK, $2.97m isn't quite FHB territory & nor is that level of income.

Smoking a packet/day would also impact your ability to save the deposit. :oops:

5. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

It was a rhetorical question. Although it was clear as day without even reading it that they would choose an area like that to base their article on.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Horses for courses as the same applies for a retail assistant on $45k trying to save for a $800k house in Blackett but all of their income goes towards essential spending with less available for discretionary items or savings.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If I dont smoke then isnt standing at a desk more harmful to me ? o_O

Each year when they run the City to Surf they reports one of two deaths by heart attack. Or males aged 50+ riding a bike. I have never seen the stats for the people watching on TV dying. Perhaps its safer to sit and watch?

Media headlines are worded to gather attention. They are usually embellished generalisations

8. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

Legacy media has mostly been awful but now they have to compete with independent made content, their revenue drivers are drying up. In order to generate any revenue they are resorting to clickbait to fund advertising. It's a short term band aid on a gaping wound.

The next ten years will see a thinning of legacy media, but their demise could even be quicker if they continue to peddle in outrage and general garbage that divides society.

I like to think the ordinary person is intelligent and can mostly see through the nonsense, especially Gen Z who are quite media savy.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.