Siting Variation - BCC

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Christina46, 5th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Christina46

Christina46 Well-Known Member

Hi all

We're starting down the track of planning an extension to our home. We've engaged with a building designer who has good references and we like the look of some of his previous projects. BUT, I've got some concerns coming up, particularly with regards his ability to make the most of our block.

The designer has advised that we need to make sure we are 1.5 metres clear of the side boundaries. Now, I know that this is the standard set back required, but I had also understood that we can submit a siting variation to allow us to go closer than this.

Am I missing something??

Being able to go closer than 1.5m would certainly open up a lot more options for us. I had suggested we engage with a certifier early, to discuss the extent to which we could vary the standard setbacks, but the designer has said this is not necessary as he has confirmed the requirement is 1.5m.

2. Coxy89

Coxy89 Well-Known Member

Size of the site?

All the setbacks for sites are covered in the Queensland Development code. Available free online. This may also be affected by BCC overlay codes depending on what the zoning is for the lot. Overlay codes available on BCC website.

Depending on what overlay codes it has and size of block the setbacks could be different.

We are doing similar for our house and we have 1m side setbacks but we're on a small lot, under 10.5m frontage etc.

willair likes this.
  3. Christina46

Thanks @Coxy89. Sounds like exciting times for you as well!

We're not a small lot and frontage is just over 15m. Yep, I've got the QDC which identifies the acceptable solution as 1.5m (we're all under 4.5m). My building designer seems to think we are locked into this, but I had understood that we could get a siting variation, in which case we need to ensure that we meet the performance criteria.

I guess I'm just looking for some input as to whether:
    a) I have it wrong and there isn't scope to move away from 1.5m, and I just need to stop interfering, trust that the building designer knows what he's doing and let him get on with his job; OR
    b) the building designer is misinformed and I need to stand firm on this (or engage someone else before we move to far down the process)

4. Coxy89

Coxy89 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure on getting a variation on siting criteria based on the QDC. The performance criteria is nominated as the setbacks being 1425mm each side for a 15m frontage under 4.5m in height.

Under the Acceptable solutions there are some exemptions to the setbacks but its all based around garages, carports or pergolas etc that aren't being used as entertainment spaces. There are also maximum dimensions for the extent that you can encroach on the boundary setbacks in these situations, which is only around 9m.

I would err on the side of trusting your architect/designer. Worst case get a sketch from him showing setbacks and send it to a few town planners asking advice.

Generally I'd say if it were possible it may throw you into a different level of assessment with council and change from a code assessable development to impact assessable which is more expensive and fraught with danger because it requires public notification of what is being designed/built. During public notification neighbours can object to your development and then get you stuck in an approval/response process with BCC that could take months to resolve.

5. Christina46

Thanks @Coxy89 - the setbacks are a certification issue, not townplanning (I have engaged with a townplanner who has confirmed this. They have also confirmed that with what we want to do no DA is required). Will see what comes out of the initial design concepts. :)

6. The lucky duck

The lucky duck Well-Known Member

We are in Wynnum too. We’re you happy wth the end product? Would you recommend your building designer?

7. Christina46

Hi @The lucky duck - honestly, no we weren't happy with our building designer. We did persevere with them, but the end result felt like a compromise and when we got pricing from builders it was substantially higher than what we wanted to spend (we had given our budget to the designer).

There were also some significant errors in what they had done (eg there is a large tree in the back yard that we particularly wanted to keep. We had a full survey done which identified the location of the tree, but in the plans the designer had moved it - instead of the 8m clearance to the centre of the tree we only had 2.5m.

We ended up working up a new approach and design with a carpenter we have used previously and just getting a draftsperson to draw up the plans. We are in construction phase at the moment. What we came up with was much more efficient in terms of using the existing house and getting more onto the block. We will probably end up spending a similar amount as what earlier quotes had come in as but we will be getting so much more. A much better result for what we hope will be our long term PPoR.

wylie likes this.
  8. Rhys Doyen

Rhys Doyen Member

Hi!

Depending on your block/build there are two aspects to your question.
    It would seem that you are in Brisbane City area, and someone has determined that you do not require a development application?

The subsequent part you are leaning towards is the Qld Development Code (QDC) requirements, typically discussed between a certifier and builder.
    QDC have standard provisions - if you comply, you don't need to seek a relaxation approval.
    If you don't comply, you need to apply for a relaxation and pay the associated fees.
    It's not uncommon for new builds to seek a relaxation and be permitted approval, for example, side boundary setbacks.

Cheers,
    R

Last edited by a moderator: 31st May, 2020