Site Visit

Discussion in 'Development' started by AnneC, 30th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AnneC

AnneC Well-Known Member

Our builder is being very difficult with site visits. We dont go down very often at all, especially now with the Corona Virus.

He comes up with an excuse all the time. Last time we went down was about 6 weeks ago. There is very little progress on the job and many days there is no one there.

When we text to say that we want to go down the next day , he says that either they are too busy or it will be raining and no one is there.

Does anyone know what our rights are? I know the builder has taken control of the site but can they be that difficult?

Thanks, the joys of building!!

2. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

As per your contract.

But yes, builders hate owners going on site. I think you've probably got some schmoozing to do, rather than relying on "rights" already. You do *not* want your builder ****** off.

You have to accept that you presently have very limited rights to enter, and the builder controls that. So catch some flies with honey.

When we were building, it was right near my kids' school, so I was in the area every day. As the weather was warm, I took our builder - and any tradies on site - icecreams on sticks and icy cold Cokes every afternoon when I picked the kids up. But I also took those in an Esky that I left at the gate, and didn't go on site unless invited. Most days I just left the Esky and didn't even see/talk to them.

The more you try to insist upon a right that you've signed away to the builder (ie the right to enter), the more he's likely to resist.

craigc, Stoffo, Tufan Chakir and 3 others like this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You prob have no right to enter until it is handed over.
    Insurance and risk is one issue

Stoffo, Scott No Mates and Perp like this.
  4. AnneC

AnneC Well-Known Member

Building progress

Visiting your building site

You have the right to ‘reasonable access’ to your building site at any time during construction. This right applies even if you sign a contract that says otherwise - for example, if the contract limits your visits to business hours only.

What is reasonable will depend on the situation. For example, your builder tells you on Friday that the foundation stage is complete, and the slab will be poured on Monday. If you are using an independent building consultant, ensure that they inspect the work to make sure there are no hidden building defects. It would be 'reasonable' for you to have access to the building site on the weekend.

You should always consult your builder to discuss occupational health and safety issues before entering the site.

If you interfere with the carrying out of building works, the builder will not be responsible for costs or delays resulting from your actions. The builder must notify you within five business days, in writing, if there are any delays or additional costs.

Perp, Terry_w and TAJ like this.
  5. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

The builders done a poor job of locking the site up, so i went and visited when I could.

I actually noticed they forgot to put a door in my garage when the brick wall was half built, and emailed them about it ASAP, they gave me a spiel about not being allowed on site and the brickies finished the wall.

Actually would've saved them time and money, but ya'know :rolleyes:

Tufan Chakir, AnneC and Perp like this.
  6. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I had a special condition in my contract that gave me the right to enter the site at any time without the need of builders consent.

AnneC, Archaon and Terry_w like this.
  7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I assume that you hold a ‘white card’?

8. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Nope. Just a clause written in the contract. Also wrote down builder wasn't liable should I get hurt.

All went well at the end, builder didn't care I was around.

9. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Were you wanting to visit with a building inspector? I thought you just wanted a "look see".

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Unless you have a clause giving you (or the architect/superintendent etc) the right to access the site for site meetings, inspections or whatever, you have granted the builder the exclusive right as the Principal Contractor (under WHS regulations) and they are responsible for anyone who is accessing the site either by invitation or illegally.

Stoffo, Perp and Joynz like this.
  11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes that is my understanding

Perp likes this.
  12. AnneC

AnneC Well-Known Member

Yes

13. AnneC

AnneC Well-Known Member

This is what happened with us as well. Went past the site on the weekend and noticed the gate open. They had forgotten it open. This has happened before. We were able to look around and noticed some defects. Took photos . Then when we got home, thought how can I send these to builder. He will know I went down on the weekend.

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You would be OK as long as the builder was there but there is a significant fine for a non-white cardholder being on site in an unsupervised way.

When I did the training for my white card they gave several examples of the fines involved.

In one case it was the builders wife who had gone to do a clean by herself before handover - WorkSafe did a ‘drive by’,and there was a fine!

I’m also not convinced a builder can contract out of their responsibilities.

15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You should definitely let them know the gate was open. Was it a padlock with a combination?

It’s not uncommon for delivery people or subbies not to lock it. This is the bane of a builders life! The builder can’t be there 24 hours a day.

Archaon likes this.
  16. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

I always asked permission to come on site from the site manager. No problem.

17. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

There definitely is more restrictions due to covid19. the HIA have given firm restrictions on how many people. I have one site that can only have 4 tradespeople on site at once due to its size so I can’t visit that without causing chaos - site inspections are restricted to after hours once the trades go home and the builder does it with me.