Shower only or shower over bath

Discussion in 'Development' started by GoOnAndTell, 16th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. GoOnAndTell

GoOnAndTell Well-Known Member

So we are a touch tight for space so making some tough choices.

a) 3 bed unit, 2 bathroom, can either have a shower over bath or no bath at all in the main bathroom
    b) 2 bed unit, 2 bath, can either have a shower over bath or no bath at all in main bathroom.

Feel free to add scenario c, d, e, and/or comment on the above.

We are faced with 2 units with scenario a) if we want the bath then it goes under the shower in the main bathroom.

2. HD_ACE

HD_ACE Game-Changer

Is one of them an ensuite in each or all seperate?

3. GoOnAndTell

in both a & b there is a stand alone shower and no bath in the ensuite.

4. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

No bath in the ensuite, but a bath in the main bathroom (even if it's with a shower over the top) - especially in the 3-bedroom unit.

Many families live in units/townhouses these days, especially if they want/need to be close to the CBD, but can't afford a house (or don't want the upkeep of one). Having a bath available for young children is still a big 'plus'.

And it can always double as a massive esky if you have uni students renting, and they throw huge parties ;)

datto likes this.
  5. GoOnAndTell

Noted i will make sure i sell any of them with baths and keep the others :p

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Drop the double vanity or other unnecessary items. Definitely need a bathtub (1450 mm will do) use a wall shower rather than a fixed head.

What price bracket/market are you targeting - this will help you decide.

7. GoOnAndTell

No double vanities, they are 140 m^2 places and will likely sit $450 to $500k.

I will throw it back to my designer and see what they can do about getting a bath in, so far we are only at concept.

8. mja

mja Well-Known Member

+1 for bathtub, even a 3/4 sized one. Tenants with kids won't rent one without a bath, which restricts your pool of available tenants.

Double vanity is unnecessary unless it's a blue chip market/suburb.

9. GoOnAndTell

With out derailing my own thread, are double vanities that much of a thing? having never lived in a place with one i just don't see the point. More bench or drawer space in a bathroom sure but i don't understand the need for a second sink.

KayTea likes this.
  10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

With the 2 bedroom place I'd be happy with a shower no bath but with the 3 bedder shower over bath.

With 140sqm I am surprised you can't fit both. Care to share the concept plans?

Other option is to put the toilet in the main bath as that often frees up enough space to do a separate shower and bath.

JenW likes this.
  11. Westminster

It's a nice "luxury" , a his and hers basin. Bathrooms and kitchens are the standout features that often make or break someone loving your house.
    You can fit a double vanity in as little as 1400mm ( some places even 1200mm)

12. 3354

3354 Active Member

A bath adds value even if its below shower- not ideal I know- visually- but better than no bath

13. Vultures

Vultures Well-Known Member

Another vote for a bath, especially for the 3 bedroom place.
    As far as double sinks go, I must be one of the few who really doesn't like them - when I see a bathroom with a double sink I don't see luxury, I see extra cleaning. And I HATE cleaning.

EN710 and KayTea like this.
  14. GoOnAndTell

140 is the average across all three units, and includes garage so not huge places, and yep toilet is already getting nice and close to the shower :). Generally i prefer a separate toilet but i figure if there is an ensuite or in the case of the double story another downstairs its not to bad.

Only new to the whole family thing, but we are shower people, i have had a bath in every house i have every lived in, but can't remember the last time i had one. But i am not building these for me i am building them for who ever throws enough money at us :)

Unless we had a HUGE place i would most likely have a larger vanity with drawers and bench, but I have been living in rental hell for the last few years so i am used to crappy vanity units so am missing drawers :)

15. Westminster

With 140 avg over the 3 I guess it will all be about smart storage. I like what they did with this bathroom to give the extra storage

[​IMG]

Tim86 and KayTea like this.
  16. Catalyst

Catalyst Well-Known Member

17. Westminster

I have a huge collection of pictures for small places - it's rather embarassing :eek:

Catalyst likes this.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.