Shower and wall mixer mayhem

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Sackie, 18th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm getting pretty annoyed at this 'designer' who I asked to move the shower mixer back under the shower where I'd placed it like this picture after receiving some drawings. She is generally pretty good but this is just weird to me. She is adamant its better to put it on the wall to the right and a bit back from the shower. Says you wont get burnt this way when your waiting for the water to be warm etc. wtf. Is this what people are doing these days? Any one heard of this?

Thanks

This is where I want it approx.:
    [​IMG]

This is where she is strongly suggesting:

upload_2018-7-18_16-28-13.png

Perthguy likes this.
  2. bdydrp

bdydrp Well-Known Member

Fairly sure that in all the project home builds i work on they are like the 1st pic. But then again, most don have the rain head, only the rail

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

yeah that's the only reasoning I can imagine she has. But I have also seen so many with the rail head where the mixer is on the same wall....

4. bdydrp

bdydrp Well-Known Member

Im currently on a wisdom homes build with 3 or 4 next to each other.. i can have a look at these if i remeber tomorrow

Sackie likes this.
  5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Your place, you have the final say.
    They can suggest, but they cannot force.

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Definitely mate. I'll have the last say. Just wanna make sure I'm not missing something... so I thought the forumites may see things from different perspectives.

7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

The placement she has suggested is to address the issue that you don't get wet when turning on the water or as a parent showering their child, you can control the water temp without getting wet.

For most people, it would look odd, sure once they use it, they'll understand the practicality of it, but until that point, it will just be odd.

People have dealt with the issue of getting a little wet for years, its not a deal breaker where you have chosen to place it.

Martin73 likes this.
  8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

On another note, I'm doing a bathroom reno, and I am comtemplating using a shower system (so single outlet hole with a built in diverter for shower head and hand held) vs getting the plumber to do some pipe work so i don't need to use a shower system.

I noticed you will have two outlets which i assume will be controlled by a diverter installed by the plumber.

Any reason why you have chosen this? Just keen to understand the pros and cons.

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

When we did ours, we placed it so we can slide the door open, reach in, turn on the shoer without getting wet. No way would I put the mixer on the wall where you have to get wet just turning it on.

fullsizeoutput_3feb.jpeg

Stoffo, housechopper2, Joynz and 2 others like this.
  10. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

We just did two new bathrooms and have the mixer under the shower head. Just turn the shower head away from you before turning it on and you won't get wet. Solves the problem and doesn't look weird.

11. turk

turk Well-Known Member

A classic example of form over function, the designer is looking at function, you're looking at form.

To me as a plumber and serial renovator the designers placement is the sensible choice, you're placement will look better.

You're money, you're choice.

Last edited: 18th Jul, 2018
    housechopper2 and Martin73 like this.
  12. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I'm with the designer on this one. Old shower had mixer under rain head. PITA to get to and turn on if you didn't wan't to get wet right away or doused with cold water.

Current shower has the mixer in a much more accessible location that makes a lot more sense and I don't think it looks bad.

Jess Peletier, Martin73 and Joynz like this.
  13. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

+1 for the designers idea

Martin73 likes this.
  14. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I think it's a good idea. I've been burnt a few times in other people's shower's where the hot water system is poorly regulated. Particularly good for children and anyone who's not feeling 100 per cent.

15. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Need a poll

+1 designer

Stoffo likes this.
  16. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I’ll go with the designer too.
    Marg

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Was gonna do a poll but i think it's gonna be clear what folks prefer.

OK..so be it. It'll stay .

Thanks all.

18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Why aren't you going for a thermostatic mixing valve and pre temped water? No scalding.

19. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Dont you have an elbow? It doesnt matter where you put the mixer it depends which way the shower head is angled, underneath the shower could be the driest place. It makes it much harder to adjust the water temperatures with such a long distance between the mixer and the shower head as it takes along time for the water too come through, if it is too hot it takes a long time for the cooler water to com through so you over adjust than its too cold, then vice versa, particularly bad if you have kids. There is a common sense reason the taps used to be near the head, but now common sense has vanished. Leo insist the tap is near the head as I am sure you have better things to do on a cold morning than wasting time freezing then scalding your nuts.

20. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Our mixer is about three feet from the shower head. About two feet further than if it was on the same wall. Once the water is warm or hot, and I'm in the shower, I have instant change in temperature. There is no delay.

In the shower, instead of reaching forward to change temperature, I reach to the other wall. I don't have to walk anywhere and it isn't a long distance. We aren't talking across the other side of the room. ;)

In fact, if the mixer was on the same wall as the shower head, I'd get wet changing temperature while the shower is running.

Edit: This placement was suggested to us by the plumber for exactly the reasons outlined by many above.

Last edited: 19th Jul, 2018
    Joynz likes this.