Should I use blue board or colorbond Steel

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by SouthBoy, 11th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. SouthBoy

SouthBoy Well-Known Member

Folks, If I were to build a multi-purpose garden shed with a sizing of 6m(L) x 2m (W) x 2.4m (H) from scratch, should I use colorbond steel or blueboard for walls? I was going to buy a pre-built kit and install it, but was convinced by a few friends to build it from scratch. My handyman has already laid a concrete slab. and will be putting up timber frames to hold up the structure. We can't agree on Colorbond steel or blue board for the walls and roof. What are the pros and cons of using one or the other. I need the shed to be waterproof, termite resistant and have relatively good insulation. Not planning on having power to the shed.

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Colorbond steel is waterproof & termite proof but not really good insulation. Its gets really hot & cold.

SouthBoy likes this.
  3. ms sweet

ms sweet Member

blueboard is cheap but is also prone to failure/cracking. Either material will need to be lined to provide insulation and blueboard will also need to be sealed with duratex paint.

I'd choose colourbond from the two.

SouthBoy likes this.
  4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Blue board you can use a render look paint to look like render and more house like.
    Other wise colourblind is quick and easy

SouthBoy likes this.
  5. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Colorbond for sure.
    Ease of installation, pre-finished and maintenance free.
    Just add some insulation and all is good.

SouthBoy likes this.
  6. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Yep unless you have rendered house and need it to match visually colorbond will be cheaper and easier and less work in the end. Insulation bats needed if you want to even out the temperature though. If you are somewhere hot going for lighter colours will minimise the heat.

7. A Jeremy

A Jeremy Active Member

Agreed.

8. SouthBoy

SouthBoy Well-Known Member

I ended up using colorbond and it has come up well. My handyman originally recommended blue board as it will be cheaper, but I stuck to my guns and said I want colorbond. It ended up costing me $4500 and the sizing is 6m(L) x 1.5m(W) X 2.2m(H). He has also put gutters along the lower side of the roof and a downpipe. I am considering putting a small rainwater tank from Bunnings, but it might not be worth it, as the footprint is only 9 square meters.