Should I place an offer or wait (Stage 4 Restriction)

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by hlon8, 2nd Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hlon8

    hlon8 Member

    Joined:
    13th Jul, 2020
    Posts:
    24
    Location:
    Melbourne
    Hi all,

    Would love your advice, was planning on placing an offer (610k) for a townhouse this week. However due to stage 4 I am starting to reconsider as the property market 'might' drop.

    A few things are working in my favor which is there still need 3 identical units that are in the block that is still for sale.

    Should I still place the offer at 610k? Reduce the offer to outside the range or wait until who knows.

    Thanks!

    All advice is welcomed!
     
  2. Trainee

    Trainee Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    24th May, 2017
    Posts:
    4,308
    Location:
    Australia
    brand new? How big is the development?

    might not be a good property to buy even without covid.
     
    Propertunity likes this.
  3. hlon8

    hlon8 Member

    Joined:
    13th Jul, 2020
    Posts:
    24
    Location:
    Melbourne
    Four townhouses. - First has been sold.
    Developing will complete in Feb/March. Did site tour and examined and checked other townhouses and houses that the builder has been made. They look good.

    Townhouses are two bedrooms two bathsroom + Car space with internal of 100 sqm
    5 minutes away from the train station. Looking at the comparable the offer is fair.
    Using it as a PPOR and then IP in a few years time.
     
  4. MTR

    MTR Material Girl Premium Member

    Joined:
    19th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    19,450
    Location:
    My World

    Watch and wait..... if the others dont sell the price may drop
    Developers cant hold on to stock for too long
     
    CantHurtMeGoggins likes this.
  5. hlon8

    hlon8 Member

    Joined:
    13th Jul, 2020
    Posts:
    24
    Location:
    Melbourne
    Thanks for advice MTR.

    Should I wait until Stage 4 restriction ends? Or still put in an offer at below the range?
     
  6. MTR

    MTR Material Girl Premium Member

    Joined:
    19th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    19,450
    Location:
    My World
    I dont have a crystal ball but By all indications Melb is looking at the barrel of a gun. Economy is screwed, you have time on your side

    If you have a good safe job you are in box seat to pick up from distressed sellers. Sit tight no need to rush in
     
    The Gambler likes this.
  7. hlon8

    hlon8 Member

    Joined:
    13th Jul, 2020
    Posts:
    24
    Location:
    Melbourne
    Thanks MTR. I will hold and wait!
     
    MTR likes this.
  8. MTR

    MTR Material Girl Premium Member

    Joined:
    19th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    19,450
    Location:
    My World

    Its just my opinion:)
     
  9. hlon8

    hlon8 Member

    Joined:
    13th Jul, 2020
    Posts:
    24
    Location:
    Melbourne
    I think since there is 3 townhouses that are identical I think there is no harm in waiting!
     
    MTR likes this.
  10. Trainee

    Trainee Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    24th May, 2017
    Posts:
    4,308
    Location:
    Australia
    Think. Otp and 3 out of 4 are unsold? Worry about valuation, but also worry about builders finances.
     
    MTR likes this.
  11. Stoffo

    Stoffo Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    14th Jul, 2016
    Posts:
    1,725
    Location:
    Sydney
    What is the asking price ?
    How complete is the build currently ?

    You could still reduce your offer much further, they can only say no, then should another sell you can increase your offer.

    Then they know you are a serious buyer, and when they get desperate they may reach out and counter offer ........

    @MTR raises some good points, you should consider as many variables as possible
     
  12. hlon8

    hlon8 Member

    Joined:
    13th Jul, 2020
    Posts:
    24
    Location:
    Melbourne
    Great questions

    Framing has been completed for the bottom level.

    Asking price is 610-640k

    I was thinking of offering 605k but I'm not too sure yet.
     
  13. Stoffo

    Stoffo Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    14th Jul, 2016
    Posts:
    1,725
    Location:
    Sydney
    :eek:
    Think min 10% discount off asking price straight up !

    @Trainee point about builders liquidity are also very valid

    Often a builder might "sell" one to themselves/brother-wife/trust (often the best unit) at a discount to show that this development is desired and they have some funds already.

    It is your choice, no one can make it for you, and you are best positioned and informed to make the decision as you have been there.

    Have you obtained a copy of the contract-sec 32 and had a solicitor review it ?
    Ensure that all the finishes are listed, type/brand/specifications of tiles, carpets, doors & handles, heating, insulation, appliances are all listed ;)

    I would pick the best unit, from a sunlight and access view (furthest away from corner, gets most sun/nth facing, parking) then offer $570,000 with only a 5% deposit :p

    @Scott No Mates might have more to throw in :D
     
    Scott No Mates likes this.
  14. Scott No Mates

    Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    18th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    17,723
    Location:
    Sydney or NSW or Australia
    Depending upon how long they have been on the market, I'd probably tread water for a little while longer then go in hard as per @Stoffo.
     
  15. hlon8

    hlon8 Member

    Joined:
    13th Jul, 2020
    Posts:
    24
    Location:
    Melbourne
    @Stoffo @Scott No Mates

    Wow, 10% off the asking price?!


    Its a off the plan townhouse, so not exactly sure how long it has been listed for.
     
  16. Marg4000

    Marg4000 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    18th Jun, 2015
    Posts:
    4,629
    Location:
    Qld
    Stage 4 may bring a halt to construction (has building commenced?) which will increase the time until the townhouse is ready.

    I would not be signing anything at the moment for something not completed.
     
    Ben20 and MTR like this.
  17. willair

    willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

    Joined:
    30th Sep, 2009
    Posts:
    5,015
    Location:
    ..AFL Grandfinal Brisbane ...
    Only my opinion and this is in southside inner Brisbane as I have been looking for one of the daughters for 2 months ..Found one last week and was just about to go to contract,only problem is the one Agent I have been working with sent this week listings and there were 2 new listings 40k below the one we intended to make a offer ..had a talk this morning to our daughter and said I make a mistake many years when I told you to buy CBA at 94bucks and I think with what's happening very quickly it's better to wait till the new year..imho.
     
    Scott No Mates likes this.
  18. Stoffo

    Stoffo Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    14th Jul, 2016
    Posts:
    1,725
    Location:
    Sydney
    Email the agent and ask when they were listed, and ask to be notified of similar listings they may get in the area/surrounding suburbs.

    Then email every day, ask various different small questions like can we choose the interior color (then ask how much extra that will be), same with carpet types and color and almost everything else you can think of...

    Make friends with the agent, they may share more than they usually might :D

    Yes, min 10% less than asking price.
    If you want to really lowball, start a 20% less o_O
     
  19. hlon8

    hlon8 Member

    Joined:
    13th Jul, 2020
    Posts:
    24
    Location:
    Melbourne
    Construction has commenced. You do bring up a good point in regards to the restrictions. From what I can see construction is allowable.

    The only reason I would be interested in signing prior to completion is to take advantage of the home builder grant (25k).


    I discussed with agent in regards to modification and the builder is happy to modify anything we want (i.e timber flooring through etc etc).

    I don't think they 576k as another buyer wanted it for 600k but was given a no by the vendor. But who knows?
     
  20. hlon8

    hlon8 Member

    Joined:
    13th Jul, 2020
    Posts:
    24
    Location:
    Melbourne
    Although its your opinion it is definitely valued. This is why I'm also hesitated in that the townhouses could be listed lower once completed! .