Shipping containers and regulations?

Discussion in 'Commercial Property' started by JKWS, 4th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JKWS

JKWS Well-Known Member

There is a nice little block I'm looking at zoned (IN1) under the NSW scheme, this in time will gain momentum as the area around it catches up (hopefully).

To help with repayments I'm looking at levelling the site, adding security fencing then adding a number of shipping containers for subleasing to my tradesmen mates?

Would I need a D/A for this? If there is no utilities and no fixed objects?

The site will simply be a fenced area within setback regulations, no power, water or sub flooring to be added? Just containers that will be accessible to the people leasing them.

If a D/A wasn't needed would council if they didn't like what I was doing have the legal obligation to step in and ask me to remove the containers? Id imagine they would prefer a structure that had to go through an approval process?

Have I found a genius loophole or a brilliant flop?

Any information or experience would be greatly appreciated!
    (Please excuse me if this is an obvious one, first time with commercial)

Many thanks

Last edited: 4th Jan, 2016
  2. JKWS

JKWS Well-Known Member

Just found out that I will need a DA regardless (this has happened twice this week!).

Any further information would still be very much appreciated if anyone can help.

3. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

I looked at this a while back in a few regional towns. I assume you mean like the little houses made of shipping comtainers?Some councils are fine with them some aren't. One council wasn't happy with them but they said as it was a large block the proper house would block the view of it so they said it was possible it would get approved.

4. JKWS

JKWS Well-Known Member

@The Dark Knight similar, the containers will be leased out as storage- No fit out required!

Tony Fleming likes this.
  5. JKWS

JKWS Well-Known Member

I've been in contact with council in regards to this. We fall well within the IN1 guidelines and they said that's it's "unlikely to be approved"
    so I'm not sure why?

Considering lodging the D/A and pushing forward to raise the issue further- seems wrong!

It's beyond me why they didn't show interest, we want to utilizie the site effectively and have managed to recycle/ add affordable storage solutions to the area.

Grrr