Sharing Rural property

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Belinda Carter, 7th Jan, 2024.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Can several families legally share rural property

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Belinda Carter

Belinda Carter New Member

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any information on how several families could share and live on a rural property in NSW?

Myself and a couple of families have a dream of owning a property on a river in NSW a few hours from The Illawarra.

We’d all be off grid in our own fenced areas within the property and then share the remainder

We may farm or even run some sort of business like eco tourism amongst other ideas on the shared area.
    Each family would own an equal share of the overall property though drawn up legally.

I do understand however that additional dwellings are an issue on rural title yes?

We all want to live off grid and tiny homes would even suit but I don’t think the legislation would allow us to accommodate as many as we would need either over the property.

Would a Community Title Scheme be something to look into on rural land? Or even possible?
    Would a property holding several DPs/sections be allowed extra dwellings?
    Or I have heard the term eco village is this something that would help us?
    Hoping someone here might know of a way to make this happen.
    It’s a little out of the ordinary.
    none of the families are in a financial position to buy property on their own but altogether could manage a decent property in the areas we’re interested in.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

In most instances there is only a single dwelling entitlement on a rural block in order to discourage the use of productive land for the sole purpose of housing. Other controls include minimum lot sizes.

If dwellings are off grid, they'll require septic or envirocycle type waste disposal, these have differing land requirements.

Look for land with an appropriate zoning which may allow tourism accommodation or the like.

3. Belinda Carter

Belinda Carter New Member

Thankyou. Yes composting toilets etc..
    So tourism accommodation may not allow full time if have to look into that
    What zoning would we be looking for do you know?

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

5. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

This might be the wrong place to ask that question

Maybe a fb group or community in relation to living off grid might be more help.

Legally you might have a hard time achieving your goals without resulting on a property that is capable of being a caravan park etc. My assumption is that you want a location that is well secluded etc which would make it harder. Most councils would want amenities (water/power/sewage) as a minimum.

Im on a tiny homes fb page. I am not at all interested in the off the grid lifestyle but on there in relation to interest in small dwellings.

Have noticed there are posters with similar ideas to yours but most of the comments in relation to solutions or how people are doing it seem to not care about what is legal/not or try to push the law. Lot of people on that page also appear to be disengaged with the government for whatever reason.

What I did gather was if a dwelling was on wheels it could be legally considered a caravan. Some councils made this easier to be placed on properties provided it is not permanent (I think 30-90 days at a time). I believe the loophole is that you can move it off the property and back to reset the timer.

Personally think its possible if considering having a second home. Having it legally as a main residence for multiple residences I think would be close to impossible. Though there may be councils out there being generous.

6. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Also financially you might find buying individual properties (land) cheap. The tiny homes for off the grid living are very expensive. These are luxury products and unless your buying imported that are not approved for Australian use, the costs are more than what a normal house costs for something tiny.

7. EKCarlson

EKCarlson New Member

I’m not sure about the legal logistics of it all but my parents have 100 acres with 4 dwellings on it. There are 2x 3 bedroom fully renovated houses, 1x 1 bedroom renovated 2 storey unit and the main house has 3 bedrooms - yet to be renovated. I have also seen house plans for a larger 5th dwelling but I don’t know much about that. Currently they rent the three renovated properties which are all fully self contained and separate but the pool in the centre of the property is shared.

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Jan, 2024
  8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

There's been plenty of media coverage in recent years about the conflict between council regulations and people wanting to share their (usually rural) acreage with others via tiny homes.

Property owner blasts 'disgusting attitude' of Sunshine Coast Council as it evicts her tiny home residents

A Queensland council is evicting vulnerable residents from four tiny homes on a rural property during a housing crisis, because the dwellings do not comply with the council's planning scheme.

Jacqueline Morton lives on a 32-acre rural property in the Sunshine Coast hinterland and has four tiny homes on her land.

But when neighbours complained last year, it sparked an investigation by Sunshine Coast Council officers.

Now the council has given Ms Morton until August 31 to remove the tiny homes and tenants from her property.

Advocates call for more flexibility from local councils

Tiny house advocates want council rules changed as time limits ban long-term stays.
    I think the underlying issue is that councils don't want people to develop what could effectively become "trailer parks" - although ironically, we could probably do with more of those right now - based on the argument that some basic housing is better than none at all!

I think all levels of government need to sit down and take a good look at our approach to housing - I suspect a lot of the core assumptions our regulations are based on may have worked in the 1950s, but are completely inadequate now and things need to be looked at from a pragmatic perspective.

Is homelessness really the only alternative we have to offer?

wylie and Toon like this.
  9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Often large farms are on multiple titles next to each other

10. KBHV

KBHV Active Member

There is a large rural property near us that has council approval and has multiple dwellings, tourism, shared farm work etc. Owners buy a 'shareholding' including property and some land. I don't know a whole lot about it but I know they had lots of rules they had to abide by eg, all the dwellings had to be built near each other, not spread over the property. Their website talks more about it if you want to have a look:
    Shepherds Ground Farm and Village | Butterwick NSW | Community