Sharesies

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Redwing, 7th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Sharesies is an NZ Micro-investing app that is also now in Australia looking to compete with the likes of Raiz Spaceship & Comsec Pocket.

You can choose from a huge range of companies and exchange-traded funds (ETFs) from Australian, US, and New Zealand stock exchanges

The app has auto-investing also

upload_2022-1-7_7-59-9.png

upload_2022-1-7_7-57-32.png

upload_2022-1-7_7-58-46.png

Attached Files:

2. Hockey Monkey

Hockey Monkey Well-Known Member

Beware. You cannot transfer your shareholdings to another broker without selling, realizing CGT.

Skinman, number 5 and charttv like this.
  3. Redwing

One of the issues with fractionalized investing in some of these apps

4. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

$1.7B FUM is fairly respectable for a NZ mirco investing app I would have thought.

It's not my scene but credit where its due, I know a couple or people who have beer money sums in Sharesies and imo the value it has provided them is an awareness of shares and investment opportunities beyond resi property.

Silverson, Hockey Monkey and Redwing like this.
  5. Redwing

upload_2022-1-8_21-18-3.png

Baby steps for some

I know a few people who've got into the markets and are learning via Raiz or Spaceship

6. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

I don't quite see the point of "microinvesting":, go hard in the real market and buy a real market ETF, or elsewhere if you want speculate, or go home. Keep saving until you can buy about $3k+ tranches, where the brokerage is not killer

If you can't afford 2-3k to start with, save until you can, research the absolute *** out of the market, and just get into it, as 20 years on you'll still be learning.

These new fads are just in it for themselves, making some money on the spread (on top of another maker making it on the spread!), not the investor...

Last edited: 9th Jan, 2022
    marty998, Hockey Monkey and Noobieboy like this.
  7. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

True. Don’t see the point of these. And in any case. They still make their money. One way or another. There are not much cheaper than traditional brokers. Let’s take commsec for example. Who charges 0.12% of a transaction. Sharesies charges 0.10%.

That said. Based on their business model it seems most people will be transacting under $3K. Which attracts a whooping fee of 0.5%.

71A49FAB-98DC-47E8-B75F-AF58F0280B77.jpeg

gman65 likes this.
  8. Redwing

Looks like Commsec Pockets fee is $2 up to $1,000 then 0.2% after that

$50 minimum investment

9. Noobieboy

Why restrict oneself to commsec pocket and not look at full blown commsec. Or NAB. Just something to think about :D

AzzA_ and gman65 like this.
  10. Redwing

If dropping in $2.5k at 0.5% that's a fee of $12.50 with Sharesies, compared to NAB's $14.95, or Commsecs and Westpac's $19.95

VAS is at around $94.51 at the moment, so your $2.5k's upcoming dividends wont be enough to buy a full share, but you could use those dividends to buy a fractional share of VAS as you build your treasure chest

It's aimed at beginners who cant contribute $3k per month or more

11. Redwing

Their NZ model seems to be able to do this XFER at $5 per share

In Aus they say

upload_2022-1-11_16-39-42.png

12. Redwing

My son who's in his first full-time job recently has Spaceship and has built it up over time to around $7k, but is also going to give Sharesies a try

upload_2022-1-11_16-51-13.png

*When you make your first investment in a company or ETF with SelfWealth, CommSec, or Nabtrade, it must be for at least $500 worth of shares—this is known as a ‘minimum marketable parcel’. After the first investment, you may then be able to buy smaller amounts of shares.

willair and Islay like this.
  13. Noobieboy

For arguments sake, let’s agree you are right. Sheresies is a $2 cheaper.

Now imagine a totally theoretical word where Sheresies goes bust. Heaps of brokers theoretically go bust. History tells me it’s hard to recover money when I don’t have a HIN. Trust or no trust, omnibus or omnichannel. When administrators are called in… it tends to get ugly. What other protections are there? Uh.

Now imagine theoretical word where NAB who is $2 more expensive goes under. I know it’s hard to imagine it, with APRA being all over them and their capitalisations. But for the sake of argument let’s imagine it. Government unlikely to let one of big 4 go under. Still, use all imagination power and it’s gone. Hey. There is a governmental guarantee, isn’t it? Woohoo. Now. Let’s imagine even that is gone. Crazy, I know. But imagine. Turns out they use HIN. So shares are all in the name of actual investor. Not omnibus thing. I take HIN. I rock up to CBA. I tell them to register my shares.

All that for $2. Nice!

Investing change is not imperative. I think investing in itself is a worthy endeavour. Might be a good idea though to pull money and invest every few months. Hey once a year. Twice a year. Or invest cents in Super. Many options that I would prefer to Shersies, Saxo, eToro, Rocket or whatever.

That’s my theoretical input.

14. Redwing

I take on board what you're saying, there are many pro's and con's as the marketplace evolves, hopefully, all for the better of the individual investor

CHESS or custodian: making the right move with your broker

Noobieboy likes this.
  15. Noobieboy

Great. As long as people are aware of risks they are taking up for what I see as marginal benefit, it’s all cool.

Informed decision is usually a good decision, regardless of outcome :D

16. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Is that true?
    I moved from ANZ's etrader to Maqro Trade. It was an instead switch. I didn't receive any sell and buy notification or broker fees.

17. Hockey Monkey

Hockey Monkey Well-Known Member

My comment was specific to limitation with Sharesies

From Frequently asked questions (FAQs)—Sharesies Australia

Investors in Australia currently cannot transfer investments to or from their Sharesies account.

Noobieboy, Redwing and devank like this.
  18. Redwing

Cash XFER's to the trading account is quick via OSKO, no delays

2Q57.gif

sharon likes this.
  19. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

I like the fact that with your dividends you can buy 'part' shares

for example, if I have 1000 units of VAS, and they pay a $2.16 dividend, I get a $2'160 distribution

I can then buy (or DRP) 25 more units...but I have $10 left over, with Sharesies I can invest the full $2'160 as I can buy 25 units, plus a fraction of another unit

20. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

To clarify under the Vanguard DRP arrangements the cash surplus e.g. $10, is carried forward to the next distribution.

Silverson and oracle like this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.