Sharemarket Game

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by Raydar, 19th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Jerry O

Jerry O Well-Known Member

i have joined this game some time last year.. and that's just about it.. didn't even do anything with it. I just joined to hopefully learn a bit from the ASX and didn't give it enough attention. will give it a go again this time..

3. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

I live in front of my computer so 'playing' shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully I'll learn a little bit.

4. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Signed up for one of the ASX games last year and I fluked it with a big buy of Flight Centre shares that skyrocketed after I brought them..

I resigned to the fact that I make a crappy share investor and only a marginal better property investor!!

5. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

First time I tried it was almost 10 years ago but I would imagine it is basically the same concept.

It simulates share trading so it gives you a good feel of how it works and what sort of things can happen.

6. inspiredbyprop

inspiredbyprop Well-Known Member

Note that the game is purely focusing on the share price and it doesn't consider dividend payout. In real world, I would consider both, the price growth and dividend return.

7. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

That's very true. I guess it would be quite a complex task to track dividend payments as well to only fictitiously issue them in the game.

8. Erida

Erida Member

Actually they pay dividends on ex-div date and don't adjust for franking credits.

9. inspiredbyprop

inspiredbyprop Well-Known Member

Oh I didn't know that, so dividend money will be distributed to increase the capital money for further investment?

10. pugstar205

pugstar205 Well-Known Member

@Raydar - I have a team on the ASX game if you want to join in next time. We don't take it too seriously, it's just for fun, but I tinker with my positions daily. The current game ends on 8/6 and the next game starts 8/8 I think with registration from 8/7.

11. Erida

Erida Member

On ex-div date they add cash on your virtual account. The same amount as people would get in the real life, but no effect from franking credits.

I've had a bit of fun playing this game and imo it encourages short-term speculations rather then long term investments approach. So chasing dividends in the game is not a good strategy.

12. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

What's the entry (T-x days ?) and exit (T+1 ?) point for dividend stripping and how is stop loss managed during the holding period ? Trying to get hold of some basic strategy for dividend stripping.

13. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun, you can count me in.

14. pugstar205

pugstar205 Well-Known Member

Cool. I'll DM you neaer the time for your email.

15. Erida

Erida Member

I wish I new that :oops: I started learning sharemarket basics just a few months ago... The best strategy around dividends I came up with (for the game) was buying shares on ex-div date when they were comparatively cheap and selling them a few weeks later when they recovered.