Shared building inspection reports

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Umbrella, 1st Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Do I buy the shared report?

1. Yes, save your $$

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, it's worth the $$

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Umbrella

Umbrella New Member

Hi there,
    I've been on the hunt for a place for the last month and I've started to be see and be offered shared building/pest inspection reports . Are they trustworthy? Has anyone out there bought one? Seems like a great way to save money in this endless search...

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've done building and pest for the last few houses we've sold. It always amazes me that people don't trust them, that they think a professional building and/or pest inspector will jeopardise their livelihood by giving me a report that isn't reflective of the true position.

So, I would trust it. Even if the building inspector was my family member, they still have professional integrity and a business to protect. Why would they jeopardise that?

Umbrella and Brady like this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If its a report from a friend I trust who has recently done it then fine. Otherwise i wouldn't risk it. Some shortcuts are not worth it to me even if the risks are small becaus the consequences can be huge.

4. abbyfresh

abbyfresh Well-Known Member

I bought one where the agent organised a shared building report. While it was true and legit it was:

- by one the cheapest guys in town than does like 6+ reports or more per day - high volume and low substance. Probably knocks it out in 20 minutes. Anything hard to get to is deemed no or difficult access so is missed! An owner just needs to make access to an area hard or difficult and it will never be inspected!

- very generic in nature with no photos or deeper analysis going on.

Upon calling the inspector he couldn't even remember the property because he says he does so many. Like I was the freak show requesting to discuss such a thing?

If you call yourself a building a inspector, yet you do too many and can't remember the job then you might as well not have gone because as you know it's often the verbal discussion with the inspector which can be the deal breaker and not the report.

This one was very generic in nature, stated everything is fine and building wasn't falling down and full of your usual disclaimers.

I would never choose this guy to inspect for me, but obviously the selling agent thought he was crash hot and managed to convince the vendor to fork out the extra $180 to aid the selling process.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm curious to know for most people who just are choosing one on the say so of the agent, or via google, how do you know you are getting a good one or one that does 6+ reports a day?

And for the record, I've never, ever seen (or heard of) a building and pest report that doesn't sound like the building is about to fall over. That is why most agents in my experience (when my mother was selling houses) would ask the buyer to come at the finish to speak to the inspector in person. Most inspectors would say "good house, I'd buy it" even though their report read terribly.

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I usually use a B&P company that comes recommended by someone I trust. Yes most of the reports sound terrible, I just want to make sure the inspector accurately reports on anything structural and doesn't gloss over it. I know unlikely, but if that does happen then it could be a nightmare. So I prefer to use someone who is well recommended. Doesn't mean he will do a perfect job either, just another small way to further reduce risk in this game.

7. Umbrella

Umbrella New Member