QLD Sewage line access point (manhole?) on property

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by Matthewsimons, 12th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Matthewsimons

Matthewsimons New Member

Hi there

I’m somewhat new to property investment and have a few properties. There’s always something new/questionable on each property I find

If the sewage line runs along the border of the block and there’s an access point in the corner of the property, is this something you definitely steer clear of? Anyone have any experience?

Good property. Good suburb. Good yield

There’s enough room for a pool/garage so I guess it’s just a cosmetic thing

Just curious on peoples thoughts

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Front/rear has less of an impact than the side as this may restrict how wide you can build eg zero lot line.

In most instances you will steer clear of sewers running diagonally across the block or bisecting the land (front to rear).

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Title diagram will show easements like this. May affect a pool., extension / GF and other use of that land. An easement means that authority can come onsite dig holes whenever they need and they can demo things in the way and some may be your loss. Also potential for a damaged pipe, need to upgrade, add a connection and more. 24/7 access perhaps. They may be considerate but dont have to be. Sewer overflow ? Is it sewer, water supply or stormwater etc ? If unsure solicitor should assist with searches. A easement can exist without any pipes if you adjoin undeveloped land. Then its just a matter of time until the yard gets dug up.

Saw one near me a year or two back. Water main expoded and washed away most of the yard, leaving a bomb crater. Flooded house, no driveway (they replaced it) Landcsape gone (didnt replace with like) . Several days of major civil works went 24/7 and they replaced probably 4-5 houses of pipe out the front - HUGE hole with further property damage.

Most people would seek to avoid a easement on any title but it may not be a extreme concern. Some lots will have easement across the centre of rear yard rendering extension, outbuildings like a garage / shed or GFs a problem. Encasing in concrete is costly or the authority could decline approval.

4. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

What I'd do is assess the property as though it didn't have the land with the easement.

Is it still attractive? If so, no problem!