Settlement Fixtures

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Amin moh, 6th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Amin moh

Amin moh New Member

We’re about to settle on a property, but I am not clear about what items are considered fixture and cannot be removed.

In the contract, the solar panel is listed in the inclusions but we didn’t explicitly mention the solar storage battery.

The property also has plantation shutters throughout the building but in the contract it is only mentioned as blinds.

So my question is that is the seller allowed to take out the shutters and solar battery on settlement?

All these items are clearly listed in the property advertisement.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

potentially yes

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Are the batteries hard-wired or just plugged?

Are the shutters screwed into the window frames?

Make sure that they are still in position when you do the presettlement inspection.

Stoffo likes this.
  4. Amin moh

Amin moh New Member

Can you please explain more? Because I was told the shutters are screwed to the window frame then they cannot be removed as it might damage to the wall so they would be considered as fixtures.

5. Amin moh

Amin moh New Member

Yes the shutters are all screwed to the window frame but don’t know about the battery

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You would have to go and read some case law.. I am not a property lawyer so can't help with any more detail.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If doubt exists the fixtures should be specified as included or not included. Some things can be removable and pose a issue while other thing may look non-removable and be a issue. And there could be misundestanding by either party. A properly worded contract avoids uncertainty and confusion.

The buyer could amend their contract copy to specify these if they wish. eg "spa", "dishwasher" etc. Generally if it is a FIXTURE that is sinalled and attached it may be included. Removable fixtures like underbench dishwashers are a common question.

A solar system should definately be clearly specified IMO. The battery will be wired into this and should be incuded but a wise contract would specify to remove all doubt.