Servicing

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by gach2, 12th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Im just trying to see how servicing is calculated
    Actually more interested to know how my current property is affecting my servicing

Figures
    250k value
    200k loan (80%)
    300pw rent
    Lets assume 3.5% interest rate

What i believe (im not at all that knowledge hence the questions and off course i believe i could be wrong)

Servicing is calculate by many lenders at interest rate + 2.5% and in some cases a floor rate. In this example it would be 6% (3.5+2.5) unless the floor rate is higher. I believe this would be on the loan amount (in this case 200k)

Ive also been told yield is kept to 6% by some lenders. Would this be of the property value (15k@250k) or loan amount (12k@200k)?

Other thing i know in the formula is most lenders only accept 80% of rent. Is this calculated on actual rent or after the 6% cap (making the cap effectively 4.8%)

I did read a thread before where it mentioned properties had to be yielding 9%+ to be not affecting servicing (when servicing rates were 7.5%). Now that rates have dropped would 7.5% (on loan)/6% (on loan) not take a dent on servicing

If theres other factors please share

Thanks

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Don't forget living expenses and now property holding expenses

3. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Im assuming living expenses are not affected whether i hold the property or not? (unless it involves increasing for tax returns) - Maybe i should reworded OP and mentioned would keeping the property increase/decrease my serviceability?

Not too sure what you meant by property holding expenses

4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Property costs - such as rates, management fees, maintenance etc. = costs to hold the property.

Terry_w likes this.
  5. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean by this, as you mentioned above rental yield is capped at 6% so if a property is yielding 9% the extra 3% can't be used for servicing purposes anyway.

Why don't you just engage a broker to do this for you? It's highly likely you'll get it wrong doing it yourself.