Serviceability when accessing equity, low savings

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Nate7invest, 25th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nate7invest

Nate7invest Member

Hi guys

I purchased a ppor late last year for 480k in an area that has seen a bit of growth in the past 12 months (valued at 550k now) and was wondering how the banks would potentially veiw my current situation

Looking at renting out current ppor (would be neutral geared) and accessing up to 90% lvr (equity loan split) for a 12% deposit + 88% lend from different lender to purchase a new ppor in a different area worth approx 450k

Current salary is 65k and have low savings as I've plowed most of my money into renovations over the last year

I'm in a de-facto relationship with parter who makes approx 40k whilst studying at uni, partner also currently has minimal savings and a help debt (which I have read can effect serviceability quite harshly). Would preferably like to purchase new ppor in my name as to leave partner with some access to first home buyer grants in the future

Wondering how the banks would view my current serviceability after renting out my ppor? Do the banks generally need to see a solid few months or savings when accessing equity? Is my current salary too low to service a 2nd loan? Would the banks be more inclined to lend with my partner on the loan?

Thanks for any replies, this is currently a hypothetical scenario and I plan on seeking out a mortgage broker from this forum once I have officially rented out the current ppor and have some actual figures to work with

Cheers

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Brokers will run hypothetical scenarios for you. Find a good one.

you are talking about 950k debt on your 65k salary plus 40k for your partner. Thats a lot of lmi, even if you could.

Thats pretty thin. Whats the rush to do this, as opposed to just staying in your ppor and save some more?

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

If you are borrowing deposit and duty there is no need to show savings.

But the existing debt and new debt will need to be able to be serviced on your income and potential rent.

4. Nate7invest

Nate7invest Member

Thanks for the reply

No real rush but just looking at options at this stage. Will be relocating for work in a few months and would prefer to buy rather than rent if possible. Partner and I are both on track to increase earnings by a substantial amount over the next 2-3 years so not too worried taking on more debt if current ppor rents cover original loan expenses

5. Nate7invest

Nate7invest Member

Thanks Terry

That's good to know

Would you say including my partner on the potential new ppor loan would improve serviceability? She doesn't have any debts other than a uni help debt which she isn't currently paying back yet

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes prob would

Nate7invest likes this.
  7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Hecs wont have an impact to servicing - repayment threshold for 2021 is 46 6210, and even to 57 k its 2 % coming out of Nett earnings.

Having said that, depending on ownership split and the GROSS rental income, the ATO will add that to the base PAYG to calc HECS payable at tax time, as do some lenders.

a 40 k second income will turbocharge your borrow cap by 400 k plus for 2 reasons

1. your 65 will cover most of the living expenses
    2. Low income tax payable on the 40k, same n

Suggest you access your credit files and see how they look, and keep the total LVR for both loans sub 90

Also suggest you chat with a broker before you rent a place if the primary reason to move is to invest. I expect you will have much better servicing that way - dont have much data, but typically for lower income earners this be the case.

Rentvesting often doesnt provide a better outcome.

ta
    rolf

8. Nate7invest

Nate7invest Member

Thanks for the detailed response Rolf

I'll definitely be reaching out to a mortgage broker before renting a place out in new area

We have the opportunity to move back home while looking for the new ppor (family live around the area) so have some options when it comes to buying vs renting

Ideally new ppor would be turned into a 2nd IP later down the track when my partner and I are both on higher wages/salarys

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

The ATO considers net income for calculating HELP repayments, not gross (though any negative gearing benefit is excluded). "Adjusted taxable income" is the technical term for the calc used, also used for FTB and some other payments.

Gross rental income would brutal!

10. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Thanks for the clarification

ta
    rolf