Serviceability calculations

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Brad Goodwill, 28th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brad Goodwill

Brad Goodwill Member

I know this is crystal ball stuff, but does anybody have an educated view on when they think the market will cool enough so that the strict bank serviceability calculations will be relaxed?
    I am going from dual income to single (separation/divorce) and need to refinance loans to one income and according to my broker, I fail the serviceabilty calcs.

2. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    Have you looked at multiple lenders? You can often get an extra 20-30%, assuming you have multiple IPs.

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

This question is asked on a weekly basis around here. The answer is they'll never go back to what they once were. There'll always be a little give and take as lenders appetite moves, but it won't even come close to what it was.

There are some reasonably high servicing lenders still available, it's possible you're looking at the wrong lenders for your financial profile.

4. Brad Goodwill

Brad Goodwill Member

I suppose I am trusting that my broker is looking out for me, but according to them, there is nothing I can do.

5. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

In many cases if the broker isn't used to multi property transactions as their standard deal, they can be unaware of the options out there. Not so much malicious intent, just ignorance to lender options.

6. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Many successful investors outgrow their initial broker as they move forward with their investment journey,don't take his advice as absolute without getting multiply opinions from different brokers.

7. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

@Brad Goodwill, you might have some options. There's still a few niche lenders out there who have pretty generous servicing. Just confirm with your broker which were the most generous lenders she or he modelled your situation with. That will be telling.