Semi detached house

Discussion in 'Development' started by melbournian, 21st Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

was going around western suburbs of Melbourne Footscray Maidstone sunshine etc I noticed there were a lot brick semi detached houses maybe 1940-50s on plots of 600-700sqm land. I never really seen this on the eastern side. Is it problem with these kind houses sub div?

2. 3712

3712 Member

Footscray,Maidstone/Sunshine/St Albans/Braybrook are Maribyrnong and Brimbank Councils. Great area going through an explosion in property subdivision. Small blocks still yield good sized units, Brimbank a bit touchy on double storey at the rear but persistence will pay rewards. Look for a good site and develop. You cant really go wrong- the old stigma of the area is evaporating.

S.T likes this.
  3. melbournian

. What I actually meant was i never saw houses for e.g 2 & 4 Watson grove. Each with 600sqm plots each but there were semi detached to each other. It seems strange and there were everywhere. I did eventually find that they were sub divisions like this. I have done sub div in the east but have never came across so many semi detached houses like this . There are semi detached in Doncaster box hill and clayton but on small lots of land. My gut feel was it maybe harder to sell those as oppose to a single dwelling house. Also if it was 750sqm plot and it was a semi detached house as oppose to single dwelling it would be hard to get 3 townhouses on there as the u had the semi detached house and would be reliant on ur neighbour. Only a dual occupancy will work

Last edited: 21st Nov, 2015
  4. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

That's a sizeable plot for a semi-detached house. Do they hold the value well? @Property Subdivision what's the minimum lot size for subdivision in the areas that you mentioned above?

5. 3712

3712 Member

Closer to city - Footscray etc 100-200sqm is fine if well located. Smallest I did was in Brunswick/coburg area - 48 sqm corner lot. Owner laughed all the way to bank!

6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

owner laughed all the way to the bank? You overpaid? Or you helped subdivide and build for owner?

7. 3712

3712 Member

look out for orientation, overshadowing is taken seriously, turning circles and grz1 schedules are good .

8. melbournian

@Property Subdivision Seems like what my vietnamese mate says was true - he subdivided a 350sqm block in footscray. But the question is what reasonable size house or really unit/townhouse can you put on it?

9. 3712

3712 Member

really depends- planning and design work hand in hand and there are a multitude of criteria to fulfill eg orientation, frontage, parking, pos as per schedule, overlays, max height, ....its really hard to put one shoe on all sites as each site has it unique signature- unless of course they are side bu side:)
    Footscray is Hot! and will get Hotter! Try St Albans issue is Darebin dislike Double storey at back Footscray doesnt have that problem for now.