Entertainment & Music Selling Houses Australia

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 23rd Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Not being a Foxtel person - the series on free-to-air is the first time I've seen this show, and it's "style guru" Shaynna Blaze in action.

Given the hype of her styling ability on The Block - hate to say - but I'm really disappointed, and often left scratching my head, wondering why the heck she did some of the things she did.

Last night's show - that god-awful hand built brick joint ... why spend all that money gyprocking over the bricks when a paint job would've done the same trick, and had pots of money left over to do more painting over bricks? Why turn the only room that led out to the amazing garden into a bedroom, so no one else can use it and cuts off access to the yard? I do understand they wanted the 4th bedroom, but it was a high cost. Would've been better off carving a little of the massive garage off. She seems to use the same cushions/prints in every house - and what was that ghastly black knick knack stool in the bathroom when a nice timber one would've looks amazing.

The outside of the house isn't much better - I cannot understand why they didn't build a massive pontoon deck over that awful rock work. Would've cost less than the sandstone pavers, and looked amazing ... why would you not run steps the whole way along that rear deck, leading down into the yard ... and if there was a skerrick on money left over - paint the outside of the house and put some feature on the front, like slatted window shades or a green wall or something ... move the freakin' clothesline so it's not sitting in the middle of the water views ...

Now - I get they are on a tight budget, but I was so bemused at their expensive choices, at the downfall of other options.

Haven't been impressed by any of the houses they've done yet - the one with the kitchen off the old verandah ... some very bizarre choices there, and the functionality was terrible

Rant over

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I thought the same - paint is cheaper too.

Hideous - what was she thinking?

And the back stairs could have been put on the side (despite being within 900mm of the side boundary) as the owners wanted originally, if they were built out of non-combustible material. How about brick stairs instead of the cheap timber ones they used around the back?

Lizzie likes this.
  3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

SHA is a shadow of what it used to be. Used to do real renos and improvements. Now its just spray painting tiles and kitchen cupboards and slapping in hire furniture. Calibre of the show has dropped right off

4. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I think she is addicted to spray painting bathrooms and kitchens. I feel bad for the purchasers as the renovated stuff will fall apart within weeks!

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I feel a lot of these shows limit themselves to the sponsor freebies. And cushions!

At on stage we noticed a new sponsor - extendable awnings of some description. And yes, the following weeks renovations featured an extendable awning wherever possible.

Having said that, the storage design in our renovated family room was a straight steal from one SHA show. I can always say we have an area designed by Shaynna!
    Marg

6. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Yeah Shayna's taste doesn't fly in our household. Very tacky!