Selling cost Melbourne - Modest House

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by kanad, 6th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

I am in the process of selling the current PPOR. I will vacate before listing, had a chat with local agent and she is a nice person, I have seen and met her at many house openings in our area. It is a modest 3+2 house of $650k - $700k range. I have been quoted for marketing cost

Agent's own property guide Full page + Leader newspaper ad : $450
    RE 45 day premier listing , Domain std listing + (homely , review, agent's own site): $2980
    Marketing production fee, artwork set-up, campaign admin etc. : $325
    Professional Photos (Twilight) : $325
    Colour Floorplan and Siteplan (internet + brochure) : $145
    Copy Writing : $140
    Photo Board (3 photos, 6x8) : $508
    Brochures (100, 2 pages) : $130
    Auctioneer : $465

Based on above I am sure items can be squeezed or downgraded. Can the forum help in reducing the marketing cost, she will come back on Thursday for signing the contract.

For staging she will send a company and will cost $2800 - $3000
    For the commission it is between 1.7% - 2% of sale price (inc GST). Are these reasonable?

Cheers.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This is just my opinion...

I would not pay for the agent's own property guide or newspaper (save $450). Most people won't ever see their property guide and nobody I know looks for property in the newspaper any more.

Professional photos looks a bit high to me. I would have thought under $200 would do it. I'm sure we paid under $200 last sale?

A floorpan on the internet would be helpful but I'm wondering if you could save on the brochures. If I've ever seen a house I want to buy, I don't need a brochure. Maybe I'm unusual? If you do think a brochure is worth doing, maybe you can cut it down to one page?

Why doesn't copy writing come under "admin"? Seems high. Is that the cost for the agent to write up the spiel about your house? Do they outsource this?

For a modest 3+2 I don't know that I'd bother with a $508 photo board. Maybe just a core flute for sale sign is enough? I'd not bother with a photo board for a modest house.

momentum26 likes this.
  3. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

Yes I also think the property guide and newspaper is a waste, but she said my house will attract elderly downsizers and they still read local newspaper.

The photographer costs more due to twilight photography.

The photo board is because she said my house being on the backside from the road people won't visualize without photo board on the street. But there is a choice of 2 photo and non-photo board as well.

I will ask her of just RE & Domain will be cheaper than including the lesser know sites.

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Assuming this is in Melbourne, I don't think I have ever paid an auctioneer (but then the commission was higher I think) - they threw a "free" auction into the deal.

The Y-man

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

@kanad

More importantly, why did you choose this particular agent?

The Y-man

6. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

@kanad have you looked into results the agent has obtained for similar properties? And do have a quote from at least one more agent to compare with?