Selling a Derelict House (WA)

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by smallbuyer, 9th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. smallbuyer

smallbuyer Well-Known Member

How would one go about selling a derelict house in WA. Normally when one sells a house it needs to comply with various things, RCD's, Smoke alarms etc. However what is the process for selling a house that is uninhabitable?
    Surely one doesnt need to put in new smoke alarms and RCD's to a house with smashed doors/windows/walls that the new owner is likely to knock over?

Cheers

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

There are ways. If it's definitely a knock down job then you can get the buyer to sign that they are demolishing within 6mths then I am pretty sure you don't have to do the smoke alarm/RCD

Your conveyancer (hopefully lawyer) will be able to guide you on the best way to set up your selling contract so it suits your situation. Do not rely on a REA to do this as it's critical to get it right.

3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Sell it with power and water physically disconnected?

4. smallbuyer

Thanks for the reply i agree was thinking settlement agent (before signing a contract) would be good to talk to. One would hope something signed by the buyer saying they plan to knock the place down combined with a few pictures of the state of the place would resolve this issue as its pretty obvious.
    My main concern is when dealing with the govt common sense is rarely a factor. If the buyer changes their mind and rebuilds the place the govt may come knocking :(

5. smallbuyer

I looked into getting mater disconnected but from what i remember (was a while ago) wasnt worth it as to get it back on was a lot and i assume new building would need it.
    Power is cut off by the provider, haven't looked into getting them to physically disconnected but given (like the water) its a govt corp its probably very difficult and expensive.

6. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Google says $600 for power.
    Easy to cut and blank water pipe your side of the meter

7. Westminster

i wouldn’t. A water connection is needed for demolition. We are always advised by the demolition company to disconnect everything for demolition except for water

8. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Put it on gumtree!

9. Westminster

Don't go see one before signing contract, go see one to make sure contract is set up from the beginning how you need it. As it is legal advice it's likely you'll need a legal firm that offers conveyancing not a standard settlement agent.
    If the buyer legally agrees to demolish the house to meet the conditions then the onus is on them to comply and it is their property to do what they want legally/illegally in the future. If they renovate it then they will need to bring it up to code.

10. smallbuyer

Thanks for the replies