Selling 50% of property to a friend

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by NHG, 6th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Hey all,

So further to a different post, my dad is looking at selling a 50% stake of his property to a friend.
    It's worth $800k. With a debt of $400k or thereabouts. The property is under his name.

He has asked for my advice so am trying to gather my thoughts and see what I've missed.

Presuppositions
    1. Dad can afford the interest repayments, however doesn't want to pay the principal + interest as the reduced cash-flow deducts from his lifestyle in his retirement
    2. Dad wants to keep the property, mix of pride, knowing the property will keep going up in value in the long run and would like to hold onto it, and likes having the cash-flow
    3. I have no interest in taking on the loan as it doesn't meet my minimum investment criteria
    4. No other family member is interested due to other circumstances

Valuation
    The plan is to get 3 valuers/agents to value the property. Average out the 3 estimates.
    They are talking more about getting real estate agents to value the property.

Finance
    The friend can fund his 50% purchase with cash, however I would imagine he would also like to explore the option of borrowing from the bank. What are some barriers. I imagine my dads reduced income may be a concern to the bank, as it will still be based on his income. However as he already owns $400k, this may not be a concern.

Not sure what implications may occur in this situation.

Tax
    Selling half will incur a CGT on 50% of the estimate value of the property ($400k of the $800k).
    As the property has been owned for more than 1 year, the CGT will incur a 50% reduction.
    So tax is on 25% of total value of the property. 25% of the $800,000 = $200,000.

Is this correct?

Exit Strategy
    No idea what they have in mind. I think just to hold onto it until they eventually pass away.

Family
    My sister and I have no interest in the property, however it is important for everyone to be on-board as who knows what issues may arise in the future, what are some scenarios to consider, what will happen in the event of death, medical emergency, etc.

Other
    Anything else you can think of? Would appreciate your thoughts.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

4 words..................

joint and several Liability

yuk

ta

rolf

NHG and Propertunity like this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Consider
    - incapacity
    - death
    - divorce
    - bankruptcy (to a lessor extent)

4. Terry_w

And any change of legal or beneficial ownership will result in new loans being required.

You also haven't mentioned stamp duty or land tax.

5. Christina46

Christina46 Well-Known Member

Was the property worth $0 when your father acquired it?

NHG and Terry_w like this.
  6. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Only in my eyes.

The above was as an example.
    Correct, I would have to deduct purchase and additional expenses from sale.

Eg. $800k - $500k = $300k.
    50% of $300k = $150k.

Etc.
    Actually...
    How would it work itself out as he is selling it only 50%?

7. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

A lot of non financial issues. One gets sick, dies, has other debts, marries, divorces, wants/needs to sell their half...... list is endless.

NHG likes this.
  8. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

He only pays on the percentage he is selling. His friend pays stamp duty in the percentage he is buying.

He will need a new loan, as mentioned earlier. He can’t just roll over the one he’s got now.

NHG likes this.
  9. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

This calculator may help in calculating CGT.
    Capital Gains Tax Calculator - CGT calculator

Using basic assumptions, I'd imagine the CGT tax payable will be around $25-$33k

Christina46 and NHG like this.
  10. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone.

Actual loan is $260k. He wouldn't have a loan remaining.

tobe likes this.
  11. Terry_w

If he sold 50% he could still potentially have a $130k deductible loan. This could be structured so this property is not mortgaged, with the $130k being secured against other property or a related party loan. This saves the new owner from guaranteeing the loan or being a joint borrower.

NHG and Christina46 like this.
  12. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Hi Terry,

To clarify, does this mean he pays cash $400k, my dad pays off the loan, or leaves the money in an off-set?

13. Terry_w

If title is changing the mortgage would need to be discharged. But this doesn't mean the loan has to be paid off. This is why it is important to remember a loan is something different to a mortgage (and why I like to call myself a finance broker rather than a mortgage broker - I don't broker mortgages)

Paul@PAS likes this.
  14. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Awesome.
    So can keep the funds in an off-set.

Would still trigger CGT, etc.
    Okay seems like that may be useful.

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Sounds messy. Is there any other way he can hold the property and avoid all the potential problems?

16. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Yeah, ideally not a situation you'd want to be in.

His repayments have gone up over $2k/month to cover the principal. He isn't in a position to refinance. $24k from your retirement party fund isn't ideal at mid 60s. He could hold on for 2 years like this without an impact, however knowing the situation won't improve, he's making a move now.

His risk profile won't allow him to look at other options like selling and becoming a money lender, diversifying into commercial, or using the money to do reno-flips or JV in small developments. Him and his mate could use their combined cash reserves to do some fun stuff instead of holding onto a 7% ROI property.

He's the poster boy for asset rich, cashflow poor. Just another lesson to learn as I carve out my own portfolio.

Last edited: 6th Jun, 2018
  17. Terry_w

Ownership is changing...so yes

Also the interest on the $400k won't be deductible in full as he has sold half of the property.

NHG likes this.
  18. Terry_w

Yes. His son could help pay the loan to the bank. This could be done via an interest free loan which could be repaid upon death of either party.

NHG likes this.
  19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This is what I was thinking, even several children each contributing a certain amount every week, assuming all will benefit equally one day.

It has been stated that it doesn't suit the investing profile of @NHG but I wonder if there isn't some way to keep it. He'll lose half the income anyway so the cashflow situation will change regardless.

If his mate buys half as "tenants in equal shares" and passes away, your father could end up with the beneficiaries of his mate's estate squabbling over that half. Same problems if his mate outlives him.

Mid 60s isn't old. There could be many years of problems ahead.

I reckon he's better to try to keep it or sell it or have the family help out.

NHG likes this.
  20. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

It is a high capital, low cash-flow investment.
    Pumping more money into it will make it a high capital, low cash-flow investment with a slightly lower mortgage.

Better uses of funds would be, reno-flip, JV in a development, invest in bank shares whilst re-investing dividends.

My current deals in the last 6 months have been $40k in for a $2,000+ weekly cashflow uplift.

I believe not pumping money into a stagnant asset, and using my knowledge to pump my funds into higher cashflow/chunk deals will be more helpful to the family 5, 10, 15 years from now.

That stated, I am sending $1k/month their way till they figure out what they want to do. My belief is simply, a deal has to stand up on its own merit. Looking 3 moves ahead, will it help you reach your goal, or does it take you further away.

Last edited: 7th Jun, 2018
    Trainee likes this.