Sell or hold?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by AmandafromBrisbane, 24th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Do I sell?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  1. AmandafromBrisbane

AmandafromBrisbane New Member

I have an investment property with someone wanting to buy for $680k. I bought for $255k in 2017 and spend $50k on a renovation. I owe $350k on the property. Rent covers the mortgage(at this point with low interest rates). I just pay the other costs. I earn $200k pa. so CTG on the sale is significant(over $100 k). I could use the profits of the sale to basically pay off my own home mortgage ($250k) or keep the property and use as a weekender while holiday letting for the rest of the time. It's in a tourist area on the beach. I think it could otherwise take 6-10 years to pay off both properties. I know it's a good problem to have but keen for views on what to do please.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You have two low mortgages and a great salary.

Without knowing more, with a house near a beach in a tourist area, almost paying itself off, I'd hold it. Not advice obviously. ;)

Stoffo likes this.
  3. AmandafromBrisbane

Thanks so much for your input Wylie

4. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Sell or hold ?
    Answer yes ...means sell or hold ?
    Answer no ...means sell or hold ?

Stoffo likes this.
  5. AmandafromBrisbane

6. M_Chad88

M_Chad88 Member

7. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

If all your doing once you sell is paying off your mortgage to say another 2-3% PA it’s largely a big waste of capital. Including giving $100k to the tax man

Holding a $680k asset which by the sounds of it is in demand and will continue to grow, will make you ALOT more.

Sell and pay the mortgage off at 3% you’ll save yourself $7500 a year, Another 10% growth on the property if you hold is $68k. It would take 8 years to make that up. By which who knows what the property will be worth?

Tyla likes this.
  8. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

It depends - what are your goals?
    • How old are you?
    • When are you hoping to retire?
    • Are you cut out for short term letting and the hands-on management that comes with it?
    • Can you plan the sale for maximum tax benefit - take a FY off work so you pay next to nothing in additional tax?
    Should I sell is never as simple as should I sell ;) If you know what you actually are hoping to achieve long term it makes the decision much simpler.

brisbaneboi and wylie like this.
  9. alanyin

alanyin Well-Known Member

It’s hard to say without more details (age, retirement plan etc.). It looks like you have low risk tolerance.

For me personally (I’m in my early 30s), I would hold on that property and use the equity as deposit to buy more properties. It seems that you also have equity in your PPOR. I would use that for IP purchase as well.

You have good salary and should be able to borrow a lot more if you’re comfortable with it.