Sell or hold - stuck on next move

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Ems, 1st Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Yep. Can offset future gains i'm pretty damn sure on that! (I'm not an accountant either though).

MTR likes this.
  2. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

As sea change once said 'you only realise a loss if you sell'. Why not hold on? In 20 years chances are it will have bounced back. Depends on holding costs etc though

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

because it's smoke and mirrors........you don't need to sell it to lose money it's already happening, a loss is a loss, someone has to pay the bank interest/service debt today.

Marisa:)

4. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

MTR,

But if a property is positively geared for example and you have say -100k equity. You won't actually realise this loss if you never sell? It's costing you nothing to hold the property so if you hold it indefinitely you'll never realise the loss. Obviously it will affect your borrowing capacity though. Is this correct?

bob shovel likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

ok
    but I thought ems scenario is 20k loss pa plus mining boom cycle is over, so not a great long term proposition

but yes what you mention cashflow positive then I agree hold

marisa:)

Gockie likes this.
  6. Ems

Ems Well-Known Member

We are looking at around $70k to pay the loan out on one and the other is fixed for 18 more months. We can't afford the $70k so will need to continue to hold this one. In 18 months time when the fixed loan expires we will look to sell the other. No chance of developing it and I've spoken to the agent and she is saying there's no point in renovating as it might not be worth the extra cost.

Yes totally agree with regards to stress, health. We would sell if we could but are unable at the moment.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Sometimes you have to bite and bullet and move on. Just think positive and that your next deal will make you money and right off the losses against capital gains.

Marisa:)

Gockie likes this.