Sell one of your three IP's to fund PPOR

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Hot Jam Donuts, 6th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hot Jam Donuts

Hot Jam Donuts Active Member

Hello forum,

It is a well asked question but in today's hot market climate I would really like your opinions on my situation.

My partner and I are selling our ppor and purchasing in a high performing public secondary college zone in Eastern suburbs (Vermont/Doncaster). Our budget is about 1.4 -1.5M for the new purchase.
    My partner wants a bigger block, and for that we need more funds.

He wants to sell our IP in Croydon ($480k)
    to net about $270k after cgt and selling costs, loan payout.

So our budget would rise to 1.7-ish.

My concern is having only 2 IP's remaining, will that be enough to retire on?

My gut says do not sell any IP unless we are in extreme financial hardship.

Looking to retire in next 15-20yrs.

Super balance
    Me: $80k
    Partner: $120k

Income:
    Me: $35k
    Partner: $200k

Our IPs:

Croydon VIC: 2br unit ($310pw rent)
    Value $480k

Griffin QLD: 4br house ($420pw rent)
    Value $500k

Thornlands QLD: 4br house ($490pw)
    Value $600k

All loans P/I presently. Hope to have them all paid off in 10-15 years.

My partner and I need the simplest strategy for retiring comfortably on $100kpa so if you have any suggestions please feel free to comment. No judgement, everyone sees things differently and we are open to your thoughts.

Hjd

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

One option is to rent in the school catchment (rent early enough to ensure you can get your kids into the school).

You could use the six year rule, to allow you to move back into your main residence and (probably) avoid paying capital gains tax on its eventual sale.

All costs would be claimed against your income once you rent out your main residence, and your landlord pays all the costs for the place you will rent.

What rent would you get for your main residence?

What rent would you pay to get into the school catchment in the area you want to move to?

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I'd say "YES" if you are selling a unit and buying a solid established house. That's an asset "upgrade" and while it won't generate rent, it will likely go up in val faster than the unit.

The Y-man

MWI likes this.
  4. The Y-man

That'd be Doncaster East/ Donvale. Doncaster High is not one of the high performers.

The Y-man

Hot Jam Donuts likes this.
  5. The Y-man

6. The Y-man

You have 20 years - we started our journey with NO IPs and NO knowledge just over 20 years ago and can now retire on that sort of figure. You have time on your side.

The Y-man

7. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Selling an IP to upgrade the PPOR is a common thing many ppl do. I am contemplating doing this myself.

In saying that yes your retirement plans could be affected if you were going to rely on this 3 property portfolio for cashflow and retirement. Depending on how much rental your remaining 2 get it "may" be enough to retire on especially if you have fully paid of PPOR.

Why is your partners Super so low compared to his income? Has he only been making $200k for a short period of time?

8. Hot Jam Donuts

Yes we explored the renting option. It's actually more expensive to rent in the area ($750-$1000+pw) than to buy and pay mortgage. I would rather appreciating asset plus mortgage than just renting.

9. Hot Jam Donuts

I was paying down mortgage debt instead of ploughing it into super, my bad. Yes only a few years.

10. Hot Jam Donuts

We have decided to sell, Auction is in 2 weeks time. If we were to rent it out it might be 400pw perhaps.

11. Hot Jam Donuts

Edsc or Vsc zones we are mainly looking.

12. Hot Jam Donuts

13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The key issue to the question is what the debt and cashflow issues will be like with or without selling the IP to access equity. And also the expected growth from that property (tax free) should exceed that of the apartment.

Property is one element of retirement wealth. Also consider super.

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Can you afford to hold all three IPs and still cover the loan on the upgraded house?

If you will repay IP loans within 10/15 years, then you'll have rent flowing in, and probably could negotiate the loans to reduce the repayments through that time.

craigc likes this.
  15. The Y-man

For the EDSC catchment I think you'll find the newer builds are on smaller subdivs (i.e. town houses).

The Y-man

Last edited: 6th Apr, 2021
  16. Hot Jam Donuts

Yes we can afford to keep the 3 IP's and afford further repayments for the new ppor loan. I'm glad you reminded me about the rents flowing in - I had forgotten about that!

17. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

If you are confident that getting a more expensive house is going to make you happier, then definitely. You still have plenty of time to increase your super, buy more investment properties, etc but you don't want to spend $1.5m on a home that doesn't meet your needs.

You might also find that it pays off for you in the long term, as you will be getting CGT free gains on a more valuable home. i.e. If you downsize in 20-25 years, the $1.7m home on a bigger block could easily be worth $500k more than the $1.5m home.

18. Hot Jam Donuts

You are correct. It was a big shock for my partner to inspect a 200sqm townhouse and the first thing he said after it was "claustrophobic "! I tend to agree, but we all must make sacrifices if that is our goal to give our kids an opportunity we feel is best for their future. Thems the breaks ;)

19. Hot Jam Donuts

Excellent point! This is definitely our time to grab an upgrade which will fulfil our family needs and may not be our "forever home" but be a more modern and dare I say luxurious home for us to enjoy for the next decade or so. Gosh this may mean I can reconsider selling an IP to upgrade :rolleyes:

Chris B likes this.
  20. Hot Jam Donuts

I was having a chat to our broker about this very issue today.
    Rough calculations using conservative growth estimates would leave us with equity to live off after 15 years of
    $1,635,000 (3 x IP)
    Or $1,160,000 (2 x IP)
    But I still don't know how to "live of" this equity + super in 15 years time, or will it last until we die? Do I invest it into a managed fund? Annuity? Us a LOC somehow? Or a few other ways I have no idea what to do with it. Does it just sit in the bank? See how clueless I am?:(