Sell and buy new PPOR or keep and rent?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Natascha, 4th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Natascha

Natascha Active Member

Hi there,

we are so torn what to do.

We are currently living in Glebe and want to move to the North Shore. Main reasons are bigger block of land, a pool and suburbs with higher percentage of families.

Our jointly owned PPOR is worth roughly 2.8 mill conservative estimate. We have ca 200000 mortgage.
    Would rent for maybe 1500 week =78000 pa
    Which leaves us an income after land tax, rates, rental agent, periods of not being rented out, maintenance etc of maybe 54000 pa. And then income tax of course

My husbands income is ca 250000 pa (partly in shares)
    I went back to uni and should hopefully be finished after the summer term. Ready to start working in February 2019.

We are not sure whether we could buy the house we want for the money we have and consider renting. The problem is that we would be worse off financially for the time to come. (little deductibles) less rental income than we would pay in rent and it limits our options as we want a pool, whereas in our own house, we can always build one. Also all the little things you can do in your own home as opposed to a rental are bugging me. We could of course use our current PPOR as security, borrow more money and invest.

Any tips for the decision making process?

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

The poor tax efficiency of retaining the current place with only a 200 k loan, vs a big slab of new non deductible debt will make this pretty simple unless you can look at a spousal sale or sale to a unit trust to regear the existing property.

even there, given the state of the inner west market ................

Keep and rent a PPOR or

Sell, buy a ppor and re invest after

ta

rolf