Self Manage vs Agent

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Ron, 27th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Hiya,

If you live onsite and have tenants leased out in the other flat is it better to self manage?

What are the pros of having an agent 'manage' your property, the cons obviously being they eat your money without doing jack. Is it worthwhile having an agent incase of bad tenants that you need to get rid of quick? I will live in the other flat so am available to manage it myself, unless theres good advantages of having an agent.

Also advertising for a rental - is it better to have an agent advertise? You can advertise on some site and pay $200 and it goes on Realestate.com.au too.

thanks

2. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Self managing is no problem until there is a problem. The main thing is you need to know make sure you're across all the legislation and in compliance with this so that if/when things go wrong you can effectively manage the situation.

3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Agent

More so if your IP is your close neighbour :)

Cheap insurance and SANF

ts
    rolf

Pumpkin likes this.
  4. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I have a Landlord who self-manages tenancies in her battleaxe block where she lives in the front. She gets me to do the entry/exits and gets advice every now and then, which I'm more than happy to provide because she has other properties with us. I can think of a few situations in the last couple of years where she might've been in trouble if we weren't there to help out - one of which the male tenant threatened her over a total misunderstanding relating to poor knowledge of the exit process.

As the others have said:
    - It's all good till it's not.
    - You need to know the legislation.

Those services for property owners to advertise on REA, Domain, etc aren't too bad, and you'll probably be able to advertise as well as 70% of agents. If you did pay an agent, make sure it looks like it'll be worth the cost (Usually 1-2wks rent), benefits should be:
    - Lower vacancy.
    - Better quality tenant.
    - Higher rent.
    - Save you time.
    - Expert paperwork.

Will they use premium advertising, professional photos, signboards, regular viewings, etc?

5. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Op, do you know what to do if the tenant stops paying?

6. pwnitat0r

pwnitat0r Well-Known Member

I vote for self managing as the Residential Tenancies Act is a simple piece of legislation.

Agents have no special powers to remove a tenant and would have to go through tribunal to get an order anyway, which you can do yourself.

If !$&@ hits the fan and you really think you can’t cope or manage, then you could simply engage an agent to deal with it.

7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Is it? I find most landlords don't t know the correct process to terminate for even basic breaches like rent arrears.

Let alone some of the trickier things that come up.

AlphabetSoup, Morgs, Mat and 4 others like this.
  8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Any diff in ability to get LL insurance?

The Y-man

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've never had trouble getting landlord insurance as a self-manager.

Michael Mitchell and The Y-man like this.
  10. ChrisDim

ChrisDim Well-Known Member

I really think in your case you should self manage. It’s very easy. There is nothing to do so why pay someone for doing nothing?

Mel Morgan likes this.
  11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot guys, I think I will:
    - self manage
    - definitely get LL insurance, is this separate from property insurance?
    - still contemplating whether to self advertise, pay $200 so it appears on RealEstate too or advertise with agent, will talk to more agents first.

I have looked at legislations online for when **** hits the fan and I need to evict a trouble some tenant and as mentioned there's nothing special an agent can do that I cant.

12. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

I self manage and currently use eezirent for advertising, although there are many other hosting agencies that do the same. Costs around $130 for advertising until leased and posts to re.com , domain and some others. Also do NDT checks on tenants thru this site.

Once you have an account and your properties in a portfolio it only takes a few minutes to activate a new ad (ie. just edit the price, bond and availability).

For self managing you do need a certain temperament, ie friendly but firm.

Ron likes this.
  13. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

That's if you can find a PM that will sort out the mess, I wouldn't, knowing when it had been sorted you would go back to self-managing. :eek:

Ron likes this.
  14. pwnitat0r

pwnitat0r Well-Known Member

There’s no proof of what you’re claiming. But, even if it is true I’m not sure how that relates to how the legislation is a simple act. Perhaps they simply haven’t read it?

I understand that property managers have a vested interest in making landlords think they do an incredibly complex and complicated job.
    But, the fact is most property managers hold less skills and qualifications than white collar professionals.

Elle Ar, PeterCr, Antoni0 and 2 others like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

dont self manage, recipe for disaster

16. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I was a self manager of multiple properties for 18 years before I started my own agency. There was a lot of learning experiences and challenges I faced in that time, but it is possible if you have the time, tenacity and people skills.

Otherwise its not really about the qualifications but about the experience, systems, strategy, relationships and processes that a professional property manager has in place.

Ron likes this.
  17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Care to elaborate further?

18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I tried it and I had a 5 year brilliant tenant managed by PM, it all turned to pot when I decided to self manage. Unless you have the right mix/personality it wont work
    Too soft they will take advantage, too hard and you will lose them. I wont do it ever again

Elle Ar likes this.
  19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I’ve self managed over 40 years and had very few problems. But you need to know the rules and do it right.

20. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member