Selection of property due to construction materials

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by dabbler, 19th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I am wondering how many people make choices on property due to the dwelling construction materials.

As I am probably a bit of fan of traditional construction, I look at a lot of things, and sometimes, deviation can put up road blocks for me.

What do you look for ?

What is a deal breaker for you ?

Or do you not care ? Or not know the differences ?

Toon likes this.
  2. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

My preference is for a nice floorplan and BV and not a flat roof.

I just feel WB can have more issues and higher maintenance cost.

3. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

From what ive heard from a few people up in brisbane. Chinese investors like brick houses and hate timber queenslanders and they run for the hills when they see asbestos.

Apparently aussie buyers dont mind the timber houses and dont get too freaked out by asbestos.

4. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Great thread topic - I've been thinking about similar questions. I've only owned traditional BV so far & am a bit ignorant of other materials and unsure of what to avoid. Very interested on hearing other opinions on this.

5. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

Construction type is part of my criteria for property search. I find traditional brick and iron construction are easier for me to maintain and renovate. I dont think your approach is unreasonable.

6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Solid, good condition materials.

Asbestos. I can handle some asbestos in a property, but if the whole house was asbestos, it would have to be an exceptional deal for me to touch it.

7. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Timber and weatherboard generally (and note that I said generally) does not command the higher premium brick veneer does. My opinion is that the perceived higher upkeep is required for the them.

8. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Properties built in the early 1990's in Australia may still have some form of asbestos so there is a vast proportion of property that is affected.

Interesting that the Chinese are concerned about asbestos when they still use the product.

9. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

What matters more to me is the condition of the property and the likely maintenance. I have all types in our portfolio as they vary from suburb to town.... just be aware of potential upkeep costs as well as demolition if developing.

Sackie likes this.
  10. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I think you need to look past the property itself and look for future potential. I certainly have preferences for brick-veneer but reluctantly consider other styles.

One advantage of timber houses is they can be lifted off their foundations and relocated on the block or sold.

11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I must say, all fibro or clad fibro has not been a concern in the past, but the constant scare campaigns must gain some traction I guess. Have lived in or stayed in all sorts of 1990 and prior housing types, it does not worry me (bit late too worry seeing many used to work with the stuff, cutting, sawing, drilling etc - that is where a problem can arise).

Many houses, including many double brick will have asbestos.