Selecting builder for first construction

Discussion in 'Development' started by docplus, 19th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. docplus

docplus Member

@monalisa Thanks for your input.
    I have to mention that we have selected FREEDOM range of house from Metricon. These are the more economic versions from them. However, I am not sure how much they compromise in build quality for this range!! I haven't been able to identify any major points of difference in the "list of standard inclusions" between the standard "METRO" range and the "FREEDOM" range. If Beechwood standard finish is lower than Metricon, will this FREEDOM range be closer to Beechwood standard finish?

On the FREEDOM range, Metricon pricing is somewhat closer to Beechwood

This is an IP and hence we are really not fussed about superior finish.

I am not doubting the genuinity of productreview website and notice that Metricon is way up in the rating with substantial no of reviews. However many of the other builders (even the larger ones) have much less number of feedback! Is it possible that Metricon makes the effort to ensure that satisfied clients submit their review while other builders dont make the effort. Though it speaks poorly of other builders, the analysis finally doesn't help a potential client like us. That is why my question was to understand if there are other reliable websites as well where more builders participate.

2. docplus

docplus Member

@beachgurl Thanks
    Did you work on a standard design with Fowler or was it custom design? We are planning to go CDC and so hope to cut down on approval process. I don't know if certain builders will be slow to even get CDC approval!! Any body has any input on this? Can the CDC process vary significantly from builder to builder?

I had not considered Wincrest. Checked their website and cant find any suitable floor plan.
    I have considered Wisdom. Initial estimate is higher than few others and hence we didnt proceed. However, I must say that I have had a good impression of them from my brief interaction.

3. docplus

docplus Member

@melbournian
    Thanks for your inputs
    Can you name any builder who builds 300sqm home in less than 6 months? I will be keen to contact them.
    Does any volume builder allow penalty clause for delays? I am yet to study the standard HIA contract.

The private inspector is a good idea. I will check for the same. Any idea where I can locate them and what are the typical fees?

4. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

It really depends, project homes are less likely to allow it. It's like going to Mcdonalds and asking to meet the chef. But you can check reviews and also ask to speak to one of their project managers that is likely to take on your job.

That's also why I mentioned that boutique builders tend to be a bit better as you are more likely to meet the person who is going to manage your project early on, or at least speak with the director of the business.

docplus likes this.
  5. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Our CDC took about a month.

I know someone building with Clarendon had their approval in 5 days. Could be because they are building in a new estate and may not had to advise neighbors.

docplus likes this.
  6. Property Twins

We had some exposure to GMs of one of the builders mentioned in this thread. The meeting gave me little confidence in the builder. So you are correct in saying it helps understanding who we are dealing with.

7. Property Twins

Yes .... negligible rates....

Yes inspector is a good idea. I will PM you.

docplus likes this.
  8. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

I'm building with Simonds at the moment they commenced within 1 week from signing the contract, but contract was delayed so they had time to prep. Base stage was completed within 2 weeks and frame within a further 2 weeks and it looks like lockup will be completed within 4 weeks making it 8 weeks to lockup and I'd estimate 16-18 weeks total to completion if things keep going the way they are.

docplus likes this.
  9. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

There are volume builders and there are also builders who build like 50-75 homes a year (with custom plans) that can fit certain blocks etc.i see you are in sydney so these will not work. In melbourne, the ethnic builders greek, croation, serbian are generally quite fast and also affordable too. I have signed a deal with eight homes before and added the clause in before (they're part of the urbanedge group) not sure if they do homes in sydney.

Inspector is a must as we're not technical enough to check and validate everything and also time resource wise. they're around $300-$500 for each inspection. you can get a combo for around $1200 for all stages. it is also quicker to resolve issues at the stage frame, fixing etc. rather then to fix at the end. builders will use their own building surveyors which usually overlook certain items.

docplus likes this.
  10. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

in my opinion, what you see in the display homes does not mean you will see that in the finished product. The volume builders will use their top builder/carpenter for those and then you could get one of the standby carpenters etc who may have had a bad day during ur build and resulting in your house with unstraight walls or gaps.

high quality can mean different things - i think if you focus just on the cosmestics that's only one aspect. there's other components such as the landscaping, the type of slab used etc. raft vs waffle etc. If the range translates to savings and more features then yes but if it is just to perceive that you have a higher quality range, i highly doubt it. One would say i would give you 40-50mm stone benchtops but that's not that expensive it's only a thicker side stone but would that translate to necessarily a higher quality build?

docplus likes this.
  11. docplus

docplus Member

I have budgeted for the following as major items:
    • Flooring
    • Landscape & Driveway
    • Fencing
    • Air Conditioning
    • Window Furnishings
    • Decking
    • S94 contribution - waiting for confirmation from council
    As for electricals, I was hoping to make some extra payments to the builder's electrician and get the additional work done. Is there anything else that I should keep in mind?

What is the council bond?

Is there anything else that I am missing?

12. Property Twins

I don't think you will save too much getting the builder's electrician do it. More chances of them getting it wrong and you won't be able to hold them accountable.

Better included it all in the electrical plans and contract.

13. docplus

docplus Member

Good learning. I will definitely get the private inspector as mentioned by @monalisa as well.

As for utilities, my understanding is that the builder will draw the lines but they dont take responsibility of connecting to the utilities and meters. Is there a way to get them to do the whole thing?

14. Property Twins

You can have their electrician install the meters at an extra charge.

docplus likes this.
  15. docplus

docplus Member

@Caltan Thanks.

That is very interesting. Are you building in NSW or VIC?
    I am waiting for an initial estimate from them right now.

16. docplus

docplus Member

Does CDC require neighbour's permission?
    Though my current construction is on a new land release and hence should not be an issue, this will need to be considered for my next project.

17. docplus

docplus Member

As I mentioned earlier, I cant differentiate and assess the cause of cost difference between the two ranges. Somebody else with more experience may be able to throw some light. I have selected the cheaper range with a reputed builder where the same building in their standard range is costing 37K more!!

18. docplus

docplus Member

Point noted. Thanks
    I was advised by a few builders that you can save the project management cost of 25% by dealing directly with the electrician for the upgrades. The builder will include the basic layout with one light in each room and such stuff. However, I will review this now.

19. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

quoted for truth.

ask about the supervisor and meet them before you meet ANYONE.

then - and only then - have a chat to the sales team.

20. The_good_life

The_good_life Well-Known Member

docplus likes this.