Health & Family seeing a Psychologist?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 3rd Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Positive or negative?
    I also didfor a short period, pretty sure I was a human Guinea pig! And lead me to believe that to be in the psy game you need to be a big crazy yourself

7smurfs, MTR and Xenia like this.
  2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I have also worked with people and have helped to lift them out of depression by helping them to create a higher purpose and new focus.

Those people are now thriving in their relationships, businesses and life.

I've also worked with people to undo some of the damaging effects of hypnotherapy and other techniques that add suggestive programs onto an already damaged human subconscious mind.

Not all things work for everybody every time.

I'm not telling someone to ask the universe for anything. "Someone" can do what he wants ...

It's not about "telling people" it's about creating an awareness that there is a level of understanding above what the average person thinks or what the average university teaches.

If that doesn't work for you - then get on your mountain bike and Peddle your butt into a shrinks office to get some different kind of help. :)

3. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

just so long as you are not using slicks ;)

4. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

I won't want to see sim on Slicks :eek:

Cliff

Xenia likes this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am sure this is true.

I cant help but think all some people need is a good friend that will listen, basically this is what a psychologist is doing and providing strategies.

MTR:)

Property Twins, BigKahuna and Xenia like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am sure it does for some, but not everyone needs to see a psychologist if they are depressed etc. perhaps they have other support that is even better? who knows.

Xenia likes this.
  7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

You can't lump psychology in with hypnotherapy, NLP and
    Most psychology has nothing to do with that.
    One of the most effective forms of therapy with Psychologists is Cognitive Behaviour Therapy. Which is all about recognising thoughts which derail people's behaviour/thoughts/feelings and stopping them in their tracks and giving them alternate strategies and coping mechanisms to find a more helpful response to situations.
    In reality some of what you say is very similar. Some days it just takes a helpful friend to lift someone up, other days/people need more help than a caring friend can give. In those situations a professional is usually the answer.
    This time of year there is a huge spike in depressive episodes, stress and suicide. As @Darlinghurst Boy said a Psychologist will see a lot more people around this time of year to try and help those people through what can be a very hard time.
    Be supportive of people that reach out for help @Xenia. Belittling their choice of therapy is not being supportive.

8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Was sitting next to a Psychologist of my daughters mates from uni at a family birthday,and my daughter told me this Lady can work a person out just by the way they talk and maybe a few small questions most times,so sitting there i have a talk thank her for the role she played in getting her where she is,then she said you have done a good job,all i told her was it can only go three ways they say nothing and too scared to face the facts ,or they open up and tell you everything by just needing for someone to talk too,or you become the person sitting on the other side of the table..

bob shovel likes this.
  9. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

Who 'truly understands' the human mind?

Xenia likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Willair I have a friend who is a psychiatrist and I have mentioned this before, he basically said most people he sees just need someone to listen to them, if they had this he would be out of business.

I think people should do what they want, Xenia's post has more to do with working on yourself and what she is doing in her life, you don't have to agree, and everyone has a choice its a free world.

I have also worked with psychiatrists and I can honestly say if I had a friend who required this service there is no one I could recommend in the Perth system.

Last edited: 3rd Dec, 2015
    Beanie Girl, BigKahuna and Xenia like this.
  11. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Oh wow - who have I stopped from seeing a psychologist?

Who is the "they" that is so dependent on my view point and requires me to validate their choices?

I've been running around with routine inspections on my properties today and not one single person has rang to ask my permission if the could please see a psychologist and my view point is stopping them.

Maybe acceptance of other people's view points and that there is soo much out there that you just don't understand is a better attitude to have - it opens your mind to possibilities beyond your current comprehension which may one day override your belief in text books.

Just because I personally have seen other things work better does not stop people from doing what is best for them.

MTR likes this.
  12. Westminster

What I was saying @Xenia was that many of the things you say are helpful are often what psychologists do. Some people can work it out for themselves, some people can have a friend point it out and some people can have a psychologist help them get there.
    So I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just pointing out that both ways are valid.

Beanie Girl, BigKahuna, Xenia and 2 others like this.
  13. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Thank you WM

BigKahuna likes this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Good points WM

I worked in the mental health system for over 20 years, perhaps I have a negative view because of what I have seen.

If my children required a psychologist it would be their choice, however I would like to think we have the tools and network to help her.

Property Twins and Xenia like this.
  15. willair

It's a business model that is not going away for along time, and most times a few times on the other side of the seat and a good listener the other side then there is very little need to open the Psychiatrist door,a mate in our small street is in that line of work and takes several days a week off and visits the local hospitals to help dying Men who die alone,if i knew anyone with problems i would send them there not too the hospital to a good mental health person who looks after ,if they wanted too..

Last edited: 3rd Dec, 2015
    MTR likes this.
  16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You'd send them to the hospital to die alone?

17. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Are you serious?? Really?

18. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Never

19. willair

Sorry Geoff,never been good with words,,i will fix it..

20. Westminster

If anyone would like to learn more about CBT (Cognitive Behaviour Therapy) there are some excellent books which explain how it works and how you can apply it to your lives.
    CBT is especially useful for children and teenagers.
    This is a good one
    Change Your Thinking with CBT: Overcome Stress, Combat Anxiety and Improve Your Life : Dr. Sarah Edelman : 9780091906955
    [​IMG]

For parents of teenagers Am I Depressed and What Can I Do About it?: A CBT Self-Help Guide for Teenagers Experiencing Low Mood and Depression : Shirley Reynolds, Monika Parkinson : 9781472114532
    [​IMG]

BigKahuna likes this.