Security Issue! low wall? Fence?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by 3k_Alan, 29th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 3k_Alan

3k_Alan Well-Known Member

Hey Property Chatters,

I’m in a bit of a predicament, one of my investment properties has recently had an attempted opportunistic break-in attempt. Some idiot has cut the fly screen and attempted to reach around to unlock the sliding door’s lock. Despite the existing anti break-in panel being clearly visible, they still cut the fly screen none the less. Perhaps they didn’t see it or they still wanted to have a crack at it. Luckily the sliding security door was key locked, the burglar wasn’t able to get in.

[​IMG]

As you can see from the photo, the bottom two garages have been converted into a bedroom and a study by the previous owner. This is actually very good because there is plenty of parking on the driveway in front of the house. Enough for 4 cars, parked 2 by 2 formation. The tenants are scared because the room doesn’t “feel” safe. As the sliding doors glass goes all the way to the ground.

What I want to do is maybe install a low wall or fence on the outside so it creates comfort, feel of safety for the tenants inside. At the same time maybe create an outside area with a table so if they wanted to they can open their sliding door and come out to a nice outdoor area. Of course the larger the outside area the more of the drive way is sacrificed.

Should I put some fence right up next to the sliding door? Like this house?

[​IMG]

What type of fence should I use that will not only add value to the house, but also make it look nice at the same time create comfort for the tenants inside.

[​IMG]

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Would a low wall or fence deter the opportunistic scumbags? I don't think so. Maybe install cameras and have warning signs? I lived in Artarmon once and these idiots climbed over my balcony and stole my work bag. Artarmon, NSW. Nowhere is safe.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think your tenants are feeling unsafe, as I would after a foiled break-in attempt. I think you need to remind them that the security door did its job and leave it at that.

Joynz, Phase2, bob shovel and 2 others like this.
  4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

A low wall adds nothing to security or rent. Dont waste your money.

Joynz, Phase2 and wylie like this.
  5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Easy fix
    images (2).jpg

Susan and larrylarry like this.
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The wall will do nothing for security. Facing the street, I can imagine it feels very exposed though.

But if you create a little deck / and or pergola it will make the property more attractive and lesson the exposure. Include a nice privacy screen (though more public visibility can deter criminals).

If the doors aren't used for access, add Venetian blinds so the tenants don't have to keep the curtains open the whole time.

Last edited: 30th Oct, 2016