VIC Seagrove Estate, Phillip Island

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by alicudi, 1st Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

Hi

Ok so you want a block no bigger than 500m2, but 448m2 is to small, you are really narrowing down your criteria in relation to block sizes.

Seagrove Estate is very expensive now, what is your budget just for the land?

This is the only block I could find for sale in Seagrove estate, to big for your requirements though:

14 Peninsula View Cowes Vic 3922 - Residential Land for Sale #202096450 - realestate.com.au

Regards,

alicudi

2. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

I guess she meant no smaller than 500sqm?

3. Jenni22

Jenni22 New Member

My budget depends on where is the land and what size is it. Not more than 220k. And not in a big hurry. Prices are so build up at the moment rocketing to the sky but consider what job opportunities you have on offer. 375k and up are in East Estate Cranbourne but imagine all job opportunities there. To not speak about limited childcare for the kids on the Island. I do love the Island but you have to look a bit wide.

4. alicudi

Hi

At this point in time, if you are going to continue looking in Cowes, Phillip Island I would place all of your effort in Whytesands or Shoalhaven as you won't find land near $220k in Shearwater or Seagrove anymore unless a correction occurs. If this was July last year it would have been a very different story.

Buying in Cranbourne is very different to buying on Phillip Island and if it is employment that you need you may be better to stay away from Phillip Island all together as I have heard it can be tough to find a secure and stable job.

Regards,

alicudi

5. strongy1986

A lot of the people buying on the island don't need job opportunities as they are retired or purchasing for a holiday house
    As per census 2016 data only 37% of the houses on Phillip Island are occupied on a full time/ppor basis.
    So really there is no point trying to rationale the houses prices on the island with job availability.
    A very alien concept for some!

Yes there are more job opportunities around Cranbourne but the Island is a much nicer place to live so people who don' want to be part of the rat race find a way to make it work

Last edited: 4th May, 2018
    alicudi likes this.
  6. alicudi

Hi

To Jenni22 and anyone else looking for land in or around Seagrove estate, Phillip Island. I have just been informed that Shoalhaven estate has released 9 blocks of land which are $209,000 for 352m2 up to $269,000 for 512m2.

I expect Daniel Martin of Shoalhaven to have some interest in these blocks and for them to sell out within a few weeks.

Call him directly on 0414 477 611 if you want to secure one of these lots (I should be a salesman!).

Regards,

alicudi

7. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

Could you repeat that in English please? Google cannot translate.

8. alicudi

Hi

14 days after writing the above post, 6 blocks have been sold off in the Shoalhaven estate with 3 blocks still left for sale.

For those that maybe interested in other parts of Phillip Island, I just found out about this very little estate coming up in Newhaven: Home | The Narrows Newhaven

Regards,

alicudi

Westie likes this.
  9. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

I'll be keen to see how much these blocks go for. Right on the edge of the water.

10. strongy1986

my guess would be 350-400?

11. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

Close to the water but not really a swimming beach, very swampy there.

Westie likes this.
  12. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

I'm actually interested to see what prices they bring. I wouldn't have thought that there would have been sufficient demand down there to auction 27 blocks in one go??? Presuming they will have reserve prices on them around that mark otherwise could be some bargains to be had!

alicudi likes this.
  13. strongy1986

yes I was very surprised to see they were auctioning these in one go...
    i only found this out this morning when looking through the local rag
    I'll ask around

I wouldn' think there would be the demand either
    something might be up

14. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

I emailed the agent yesterday. Price guide is $320k - $365k depending on the block. Also received contract of sale and although I have not been through it in detail there doesn't appear to be any caveats relating to what you can build (would need to do more research on this though).

Again assuming there will be reserves on all but my best guess is there will be a heap of blocks left over for sale by negotiation post the auction.

Interested to hear what you find out though.

Last edited: 29th May, 2018
  15. alicudi

Hi all

Bit of an update, I just received an email from Chase Watters of Alex Scott real estate in regards to a new release in Whytesands estate, Cowes. They have just released some blocks ranging from 512m2 at $295,000 up to 576m2 at $309,000. That is an absolute massive increase in price since this time last year.

Blocks up to 720m2 are due for release in the future in Whytesands estate, who knows how much these will be?

Regards,

alicudi

16. strongy1986

That would be a 100% price rise on vacant land in roughly 12 months.

well the cheap estate blocks anyway

17. alicudi

Hi

Yes for the 2 x cheaper estates which are Shoalhaven and Whytesands and I didn't even consider them because they didn't appeal to me the gain has been approx 100% in just under 12 months.

For the dearer estate that I purchased in they have only jumped around 80% to 90% at best in the same time period so I feel ripped off!

Regards,

alicudi

18. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

I don't feel ripped off (although obviously we don't really know how much our block has gone up in value until we sell), as I still believe that we stole it when we purchased in mid 2016!!

alicudi likes this.
  19. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

Massive gains for the whole island over the last 18 months.

Hoping the limited supply of land will keep the prices rising for the next couple of years!

alicudi likes this.
  20. alicudi

Hi

Surely one of or some of the land owners with holdings on the south side of Ventnor Road, Cowes would be looking to take advantage of this recent increase in property prices by creating a new residential estate?

Regards,

alicudi