Scyon for 70s brick reno

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by tl_6100, 30th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Would you renovate a 70s brick facade with Scyon panels

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. tl_6100

tl_6100 Well-Known Member

Would anyone consider renovating the facade of a 70's brick home with Scyon panels?

I think it is an interesting alternative to rendering which is commonly used to during similar renovations here in Perth.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@Westminster I know you love Scyon...

2. KateSydney

KateSydney Well-Known Member

It looks brilliant! - cost?

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

My not so secret is out :p
    Yes I would but I think it would need to be the right style house, I think some which have very low roof lines (2400mm ceilings) might struggle a bit with cladding as it might make them look shorter. That example does seem to pull it off quite well. Co-incidently I was looking at an Australiana 90s house with verandahs around on the weekend and brick and wondering how it would look with weatherboard cladding :p
    There is also the consideration that up until 5yrs ago there weren't that many chippies here in Perth and so it probably was and might still be cheaper to render than clad.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

When cladding, you also need to consider the way things will be finished when they abut existing openings like windows/doorways, whether it will affect water ingress, conceal termite tracks, cover weep holes, brick vents and the like.

Done poorly will likely result in expensive repairs due to unforseen issues.

Westminster likes this.
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Looks amazing.

How does the cost compare with rendering?
    Marg

6. tl_6100

@Scott No Mates you have some great points; pest (inc. termites) and brick vents are the big ones I was thinking about. The above example (from a Scyon blog) has Hardiewrap weather barrier and makes good use of existing doors/windows by bridging them with boards.

@Westminster it's like your are talking about my place with those height issues; a 2300mm front wall does present challenges. Although from afar it doesn't look that different to render?

I am getting a numb towards the rendered look on old houses and thinking of just embracing my beaut 70's brick facade :)

7. tl_6100

RE cost; only the facade in this example is done, the other walls are just painted to match.

I think @Westminster may be the best person to ballpark a cost to install this for just a facade say... flat wall of 12 L x 2.3 H with a few windows and a door (see ref photo)?

Either way has to be more than render.

Attached Files:

8. Westminster

The cheapest Scyon to clad with would be easylap - it's possible also the ugliest but there are some funky things you can do with it on modern houses.
    The next cheapest is Axon - this is a vertical patterned cladding and comes in sheets so there is reduced labour costs for installation. The boards are 2400 x 1200 (I think?) and so you'd just whack up 10 of those along the front of a 12m frontage house. It's probably 12 sheets to minimise joins though. I use Axon all the time because I love the look and I like the price :p
    Then there is Scyon Stria then last but not least Linea.
    I'll bug the boys this week and see if I can get a ballpack price but it would be an unpainted price - that's a whole other trade :p

broc119 and KateSydney like this.
  9. Westminster

KateSydney likes this.
  10. Westminster

This is the next level funk you can do with EasyLap. You can leave it in it's "raw" concrete colour state and seal instead of paint for a completely different look. I'll be doing this on a client project this year and I'm very excited about it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KateSydney likes this.
  11. Westminster

**** who let me talk about cladding :p I could go on and on

broc119 and KateSydney like this.
  12. tl_6100

Ahh tilt up commercial chic? I'm sure it will look out of this world - eagerly waiting

KateSydney likes this.
  13. tl_6100

Interested to hear what the lads say :)

Looks like 325mm Stria to me... per the JamesHardie product description "gives the timeless charm and classic appeal of decorative render"... and here I thought it was a non-rendered look haha!

KateSydney likes this.
  14. tl_6100

I found the below article that includes pricing info thanks to WMs link above...

There is a price estimate provided for whole house cladding over brick reno see, Nearly Finished! Our House’s Cladding Makeover (and Reader Questions)

"I would say to do an entire three bedroom two bathroom brick house I think you could expect to pay around $20,000 minimum for labour and cladding if you get it done professionally."

KateSydney likes this.
  15. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

I would do the opposite. Instead of touching the brick (which I’ll guess is cream?) I would rather swap out the windows. Take out silver/brown sliding aluminium windows and put in new wooden double hung windows. Instead of trying to modernise a 70s home embrace the retro touches.

sauber and housechopper2 like this.