Screening trees ideas sought

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Tufan Chakir, 1st May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

So does anyone have Murrayas kept below 1.5m? Are they a nightmare kept at 1.5m? Do they get too leggy/twiggy?

My research tells me Buxus is good but only to 50cm -1m MAX despite labels saying they can get to 3m. Gardenias can do the job but they're finicky - I have them and they are temperamental (almost deciduous in winter).

My shortlist is:
    1. Buxus
    2. Murrayas
    3. Camellia

Am wanting practical experience of forumites who have any of these and planted to around 1.5m.

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Magolias fare better than gardenia and are a nice deep green. Grow to 2.5m and trim better to 2m. Grow reasonably fast too. Better flower IMO then gardenia without browning.
    Lilly pilly comes in many different forms. I have some "Sunrise" as a hedge which includes leaves that are also yellow/orange/pink which breaks up the vast green hedge look.
    Szygium cascade

Best source of info is your local nursery (larger one) to see but buy volume wholesale
    Hedging Plants | Budget Wholesale Nursery Sydney

3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yeah I have a Magnolia too (Teddy Bear) but the brief is 1.2m-1.5m in max height. Magnolias are too tall for that. We have lilly pillies at the back - they're now at 3-4m, which is what we designed them to do. In fact, once they hit 5m, it'll hide a building which has a birds eye view of our yard.

4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

elegance-grevillea.jpg
    Grevillea 'Elegance'
    As the name suggests, Grevillea 'Elegance' sure know how to put on a show. Reaching up to 3 metres in heigh and spreading up to 3 metres across, this shrub puts on a good display in any garden.

grevillea-semperflorens.jpg
    Grevillea semperflorens
    With apricot flowers and weepy branches, this grevillea variety is a fountain of delight. Works well as an informal screen, hedge or border and grows up to 2 metres tall.

If you only want up to 1.5m, go for a smaller grevillea or how about Abelia? A very under-rated plant.

Last edited: 10th Nov, 2021
  5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks - I prefer a bit more of a formal look so by and large the natives are out in that spot. Perhaps out the back but preferably not in front.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Datto has problems with natives in his yard in Mt Druitt too. But nce to share a beer with.

7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

sorry - didn't read original post properly :)