Screening tenant with 4 kids (refugee?)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by menty, 3rd Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

It's in the thread title - (refugee?). Maybe she is, maybe she's not.

I guess the thread has morphed into the appropriateness of the welfare a single mum with 4 kids receives.

If she is a refugee I hope she is eligible, and accessing non-financial govt assistance to help her adjust to life in oz. Menty says she needs her kids to translate for her - she should be seeking and receiving English lessons in a baby friendly environment for instance. She should be preparing herself to get a job when the youngest goes to school.

Do we provide this sort of assistance to refugees? I hope so.

2. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Just had my morning coffee. All good :)

3. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

See here:
    And it is also in the title - as a possible refugee.

Which of course; is not allowed to be mentioned else you will cop the wrath.

One more thing about this whole mental illness as a justification for being on welfare argument - this could apply to EVERY refugee by description - based on what they may have endured...

If they are legitimate refugees of war, they'll all have some form of mental impairment.

So; are we going to have a scenario where every refugee automatically gets to go on the Gubb teet (and maybe indefinitely) because they will have mental issues?

Last edited: 6th Jun, 2016
  4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Good idea.
    My question would be that seems to be a lot of money for someone on Centrelink.

5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Probably.
    But it's Ok to forget the diggers coming back from war with mental issues who are killing themselves.

6. Ed Barton

It's a huge amount of welfare. $700 pw would be heaps.

7. Bayview

Add a bit of house cleaning on the side for cash.......

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I've known people who had to do that, but they were only on the standard pension.
    This lady could hire a cleaner.

Bayview likes this.
  9. Ed Barton

You've got to be kidding. She's to traumatised to clean her own place let alone anyone else's. Oh wait, did you say cash?

Bayview likes this.
  10. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

All three comments above in bad taste.
    Off the track, the OP could be mistaken fortnightly payments for weekly payments and that makes a huge difference. The centrelink payments are fortnightly usually.

Joynz likes this.
  11. Bayview

Um; excuse me, but that practice of doing a bit of work on the side for cash is absolutely indemic across Aus.

If you want to cast stones; cast stones at those who are practicing that.

Don't get stuck into me for raising the issue; get stuck into those who should be paying tax.

You are only crying that it is in bad taste because the subject of the thread is possibly a refugee.

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Do you think someone on $1,100 per week could afford to hire a cleaner or they would need to be a cleaner on the side?

13. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

No, its because you have blinkers on -
    [​IMG]
    We can have a healthy discussion, when you are off it and when you start taking your medications again.

sanj likes this.
  14. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I'm sure it is endemic, but you're the one that's decided to add it onto this scenario. For no apparent reason that I can see.

If you want to beat up on our welfare system or our immigration policies, go do it somewhere else because its barely relevant to the discussion here.

Joynz likes this.
  15. Bayview

Other than it's relative to the scenarios of renters, welfare recipients and cash payment folks - who are often all of the above, and the fact that Sanj has introduced into the debate the mental illness aspect of the subject as a justification for their welfare, while the two mothers are looking after each other's kids and not apparently doing any formal work while receiving generous monetary help from you and I - all of which are side issues to whether the OP should or should not take in a single mother with 4 kids and no job...I'd say what I have added is no less irrelevant to the discussion than the above.

But you are right; the only thing relevant to this thread is the mother, the 4 kids, the no job and the welfare to pay her rent, and whether or not the OP should take her in as a renter....I say; YES.

Everything else is irrelevant - especially the word; "refugee".

It is of no bearing on the demographic subject in this thread, actually...I could not care less what nationality this woman is...I've had em all in my IP's.

Um; the whole thread has at it's core the renter being on welfare.

Point out where I have criticised the immigration policy in this thread. I did mention that the Gubb have plans to allow 50,000 per year - that is not a criticism; just a statement of a possible Policy. (I will criticise it if you like, because it is bloody ridiculous; but we'll leave that one to another thread).

I did argue with Sanj though; that by his definition; all refugees will have experienced some form of trauma, and therefore should be on some form of welfare as a result....you know; more help than the rest of us. That is arguing about mental issues as how they pertain to a possible welfare payment for refugees...not the Policy...it is all his view and he bought it up.

Why haven't you slammed his contribution? His has no relevance either, but he brought it up.

It is a given that these threads are going to head down the welfare bashing path - they always do.

Why do you think that is?

Do you think that the vast majority of hard working Aussies - who think that the welfare system is a joke - would not say anything about it on a thread such as this?

Or is this forum only allowed to be populated by folks who say nothing to criticise anything that they deem broken, or unfair, or might upset someone else, or offend them, and who reckon the welfare system is a ripper?

There are plenty of other threads you can read, or start your own about how wonderful the welfare system is and so on....you don't have to come to this one and get offended

Last edited: 6th Jun, 2016
  16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

This guy is my personal hero, took it as far as they let him:
    Refugee uses DSP to fund exotic holidays

Bayview likes this.
  17. Bayview

Yep; great get.

And folks wonder why the Gubb are dubious about rushing through any claims for refugee status etc without verifying everything.

Blokes like this have ruined it for everyone else who is legit.

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  18. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Yes, you can invalidate your insurance by running an unauthorized childcare centre from a residential dwelling.

legallyblonde likes this.
  19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

As a landlord, can someone else invalidate your insurance by running an unauthorised childcare centre?

20. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

Not only are they taking our jobs, they're now taking our rentals!!

Ed Barton and Bayview like this.