Screening tenant with 4 kids (refugee?)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by menty, 3rd Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

absolutely I am.

yet no one seemed to have an issue when the shoe was on the other foot.

besides, my response there was a specific one to @Bayview s probably rhetorical question.

2. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Welfare payments of $1100 per week sounds a little high but it could be verified.
    If I considered that the property was low maintenance and I wasn't overly concerned by the number of occupants I would give them a go.

Everyone needs a break and until they prove otherwise I would give them one.

Joynz, LATS, sanj and 1 other person like this.
  3. sanj

on another note this is a pretty scary table. Budget 2015 - Overview - Appendix C - 2015-16 support for households

basically, a single parent with 2 kids under 6 and earning 30k a year (not an overly unusual situation) will pay 2k per year in income tax on their 30k salary, collect an additional 38k per year in govt assistance and effectively, purely from a tax paid vs assistance claimed POV cost the govt more than 700/wk. this of course doesn't include the not insignificant cost to provide infrastructure, education, health care etc.

it will need 1.9 full time average wage earners full tax bill to pay for what this one single family costs in net tax contribution.

scary stat, no wonder this govts finances are in trouble.

similar calcs can be done for lots in the community, pensioners being one of the biggest cost atm. pensioners now grew up in different times and so do need support but seeing hard data like this just reaffirms my belief that the family home should be included in some respects in the pension means testing. how exactly and at what level I don't quite know.

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Really?
    It seemed to put your nose out of joint and you commented. That's one.

5. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

I spent 6 with 6 of us in one bedroom and communal toilets and 'curtained' bathroom. Upgraded to 2 bedrooms 1 bathroom for next 22 years with 6 of us, this time 2 kids included :)
    Not sad about it. Those were the best times!

willair and sanj like this.
  6. sanj

haha yeah I have really fond memories of the time too, from memory 12 of us staying at grandparents place in 4 bedrooms. was heaps of fun at the time for us kids, probably tough at times for the adults.

7. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

pull your head in

8. sanj

Im not the one passing judgment on people who can't defend themselves, you are. I've got no issue with you disagreeing with me though, feel free.

Joynz likes this.
  9. Ed Barton

Am I? Show me where.

You are the one telling me what I believe. It is you who is passing judgment and blaming it on me.

You are trying to be a bully - it won't work on me. You're a joke. Did you notice how many people liked, or commented positively in this thread to my post? How many liked your posts?

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

But if you really feel like you're the defender of the refugees, isn't there places your energy could be spent more wisely?

Bayview and Ed Barton like this.
  11. sanj

hahahaha. "more people liked my post so it's more valid". wow. we've officially reached peak simpleton. congrats I guess.

Joynz likes this.
  12. Ed Barton

I'm happy to congratulate you on your simpleness.

13. menty

menty Well-Known Member

I'm quite sure she is receiving family tax benefit for the kids .
    She's currently paying 400 per week (I'm asking for 430) without any problems .

I'll give her a chance

Joynz likes this.
  14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Someone getting $1,100 per week should have no problem paying $430 in rent.
    It's even better if you get them on Centrepay.

15. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

A couple of things I'd ponder if looking at a mother with 4 kids tenancy application would be :

• Likelihood of there being even more kids on the horizon
    • The wear and tear on the property
    • The noise level - will it anger the neighbours
    • Whether you as the landlord will be paying for the water bill (with an adult and four kids, that's a lot of showers, dishwashing etc.

With respect to this particular situation, the applicant is also planning to look after the neighbour's children which suggests the following:

• When the neighbour's children are over, there will be even more than 4 kids in one small apartment at the one time. That will almost certainly lead to pumps and scratches on the walls at the very least.
    • I would also be wondering whether there is intent to babysit even more kids at the one time. ie illegal childcare centre. More foot traffic, bumps and scratches etc.

16. sanj

Agreed. that's probably 1100/wk in hand too so at a guess the equivalent of prob a 1500/wk pre tax wage. even accounting for 4 dependants I can't see that not being doable.

1100/wk does seem high though, I'm no expert here but I suspect there might be more than just unemployment and single parent payments, does anyone have experience in this area?

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Could that present a liability issue?
    Probably not likely, but better to know I suppose.

18. Ed Barton

I'd give her a go too.

19. LATS

LATS Well-Known Member

What's her rental history like? That should tell a better story you wouldn't it rather than her family status. So what if she's a single mum with 4 kids, if so far she has been a good tenant in other rental properties.

One thing to keep in mind, which someone else has mentioned already, is the amount of wear and tear, drawings on walls, and broken blinds/curtains. But these things we easily fixable as long as you have an expectation of the possibility.

20. Ed Barton

I've just entered some details in Centrelink's payment finder. I've assumed she is 34, has kids under 8 and 8-15 and is a refugee.

She's entitled to the following Centrelink benefits:
    • Parenting payment - $369pw
    • Crisis payment - One off $369pw for being a refugee. She can get it 4 times a year for things like victim of domestic violence, released from prison, natural disaster etc.
    • Child care benefit - $208pw if the kids are in approved care. So she probably wouldn't get this.
    • Family tax benefit - This seems to be a state secret. Best I can up with is $506pw
    • Child care rebate - Probably nothing
    • Multiple birth allowance - an extra $75pw for triplets or $100pw for quadruplets. Assume she doesn't get this.
    • Low income health care card - priceless
    • Energy supplement - $7pw
    • Large family supplement - $6pw
    • School kids bonus - $33
    • Low income supplement - $5.80
    • Income support bonus - $2.13pw
    • Single income family supplement - $5.80 pw
    • Low income family supplement * $5.80pw
    That's $940 a week I could find on the centrelink site. I have no doubt there's another $160 of welfare pw for this woman.