Screening tenant with 4 kids (refugee?)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by menty, 3rd Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

thank you for your valuable contribution to the discussion.

GreenMedallion and LibGS like this.
  2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I presume this was directed at the now removed post following mine...

3. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

It was my usual (subliminal) attempt at humour, Sanj...I thought you'd know me by now :p

Anyway; I would have posted a you-tube video of the Four Yorkshiremen before, but I couldn't be bothered....

But that was before...

so; by no demand at all whatsoever;

I reckon this post is a bloody great contribution to the thread!! :p

Last edited: 4th Jun, 2016
    Ambit and sanj like this.
  4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

sanj and Bayview like this.
  5. LATS

LATS Well-Known Member

I had leased mine previously to a refugee background family, unsubstainable wage history because mostly work for friends/network/under table, but they provided letters to verify the tenants do work for them. They wrote personal letters with thrir application, followed and followed... Eventually I gave it to them, and they wrote me many notes thanking me for giving them a chance in life. So that was a lunky ending for me.

The same place later was rented out to a family of 5 (2adults 3 kids)-she was more of a single mum from what I can understand. That ended up being a nightmare. So much wear and tear, lived their life in filthy state, rubbish everywhere, and at the end did a runner leaving me skip load of rubbish (see pics-and that's after I've cleaned it in piles!). and weeks behind in rent.

Attached Files:

6. Bayview

How can humans both live like this, and/or leave a place this disgraceful when they leave?

7. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

She doesn't work but needs her kids looked after?

So that's where all my tax goes.

legallyblonde and Bayview like this.
  8. sanj

clearly your tax didn't go towards your education.

they look after each others kids, have you considered that doing this frees up some time for either lady? maybe they're studying? maybe they're volunteering elsewhere? maybe they're using the but of spare time to help them move forward mentally since many Afghani refugees would have been through significant trauma.

you would rather she's stuck at home all day looking after the kids but you'll be the first tocriticise her for not working too. make up your mind, at least be consistent in your incoherent rants.

9. Ed Barton

I'm not sure how you deduce that. But from your errors I can clearly tell my tax didn't go towards your education.

My 'rant' is much more coherent than your reply. I'm happy for you to make up my mind - you already have. Thanks for that.

sanj, Bayview and jim1964 like this.
  10. Bayview

Where are they getting the money from to feed, house and clothe themselves, then?

She's a single afghan lady with 4 kids and I believe she receives approx 1100 per week on Centrelink

I had a very traumatic year last year...can I stay at home and look after my 3 kids and get some of that money too? Awesome.

Last edited: 5th Jun, 2016
    jim1964 likes this.
  11. Ed Barton

Only if you promise to wear a fez - even when no one's looking. Fez's are cool!

$1100 pw in welfare seems like a huge amount.

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Plenty of people on this forum appear to earn less than that for working!

That doesn't make sense.

@Bayview - I used to dream of living in a shoebox. (The comment wasn't wasted on me but @sanj shot it down :( )

Ed Barton likes this.
  13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

You sounds like you know them personally.
    They could be doing anything, negative or positive.
    But most reasonable people would probably agree that's a lot of money from Centrelink.

14. Ed Barton

I'm single with no kids. So I receive no middle-class welfare. But I don't mind families getting a bit extra. But this is a lot extra (if true).

$1100 per week! She should be able to comfortably live on $700pw.

15. sanj

If you have genuine mental health issues then absolutely you should qualify for government assistance.

the fact that you're equating your troubles with those of the typical Afghani refugee, where they might have lived through over a decade of war and fighting between scumbag terrorists and a coalition of idiotic governments, is a bit of a worry.

according to some stats over 11000 civilians were killed or wounded in Afghanistan in 2015 alone, a year after the war officially ended. of those, about 25% were children.

so yeah to answer your question again, if you do have some genuine mental issues as a result of last year's trauma that would partially incapacitate your ability to be a parent then you should get govt support, as should anyone.

if youre just making a glib comment and feel that a rough year financially is equivalent to living through wars, leaving on a boat with no possessions (eg their year wouldve likely been worse than yours financially) and moving to another part of the world to start again then maybe you lack the intestinal fortitude you always say others lack.

you sure you're not gen y?

Kashmir likes this.
  16. sanj

I dont know them personally no. I do know and have known a few different refugee families over the years though and more are doing good than bad. besides, like you said they could be doing anything so why do some people have to assume it's bad?

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

You're adding an awful lot of "what ifs" to a scenario no one knows anything about.

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Because that's what the government feeds us on the tellies.
    They're all bad - until they come here.

19. sanj

btw, in case some didn't know this...

"[paste:font size="6"][22] There are no special refugee payments or special rates of payments for refugees.

Most refugees are of working age. This means that the main form of assistance provided to refugees is the Department of Human Services (DHS) Newstart Allowance (commonly known as unemployment benefits). To qualify for Newstart Allowance a refugee needs to meet the same requirements as any other resident. This includes participation in activities designed to increase one’s chances of finding work and accepting work should it become available.[23]There are no special or extra rates of Newstart Allowance for refugees.

As such, a single refugee receiving Newstart Allowance and sharing rented accommodation would currently receive $573.27 per fortnight (comprised of Newstart Allowance of $492.60 and Rent Assistance of $80.67).[24] This is precisely the same amount that would be received by any other permanent resident of Australia receiving Newstart Allowance. Similarly, any refugees receiving other Australian Government payments such as Disability Support Pension or Age Pension receive such payments at precisely the same rate as is paid to all other permanent residents."

20. sanj

So don't fall for the nonsense then...

a refugee means exactly that, a refugee. it is no automatic indication of their education, previous wealth/success or inclinations, nothing. it's merely a legal definition.