School

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Sackie, 31st Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

So I don’t agree with the message "don’t stay in school". But a lot of the words in this song resonates with me. I used to remember sitting in some classes wondering if that crap is really going to be beneficial in later life. I know the answer now. Anyway while I definitely think it’s important to stay in school, I do agree with much of the sentiment of the song. Thought some might enjoy it.

bob shovel, Gockie and Coota9 like this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Omgoodness.... thanks for sharing!! Great video and song

Sackie likes this.
  3. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Most of my 3 kids now have almost completed their tertiary schooling and as you have said a lot of what they teach is not preparing them for "real" life post their schooling.

Most of life skills are taught by your close family/friends/work colleague not teachers!!

Also surround yourself with positive people....
    af5ae0159dd3c4a3f8a5e97f45566171.jpg

Sackie likes this.
  4. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I use at least half of those useless things, or at least used as an understanding to the next step. I remember dissecting a frog, a smaller version of what I did last night.

You can debate all of this... Henry VIII useless? He is a perfect illustrative example of one of the most important social issues of our time - gender inequality.

Multiple paths, no one path will suit everyone.

After graduating medicine and completing surgical training, I went back and did the American med school exams - which in a way was starting again. And I got loads out of it. A basic understanding is power! I bet I would have the same experience doing school again.

(I'll sign the petition to cut religion though. I was dux of Studies of Religion in school. Learnt enough to realise I didn't want a part of any of it. Still took me until my late 20s to overcome the indoctrination, guilt and unease enough to outwardly profess that I was an atheist.)

S.T, Blueskies, wylie and 7 others like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Get a haircut and get a real job ;)

6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

So you are not directly benefiting from all of Pythagoras' theories Leo?
    All that hard work to predict and you are not being greatful!

Rclank1422 likes this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Well unfortunately Mr Pythagoras and myself never had a good relationship :D

Lucky for me, Mr Calculator and Ms Leverage Other Experts are on my side. ;)

Bran, wylie, Phantom and 2 others like this.
  8. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Why so long? I thought you were smarter than that.:p

Bran likes this.
  9. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

If this guy has got through school and cant research, evaluate and think for himself then he has been failed by his school.

He seems to think learning stopped in the classroom and it was his teachers job to pass on every skill and fact him and all his classmates would ever need for their entire lives.

Tyler Durden likes this.
  10. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Funnily enough, he seems to have acquired the skills to think critically, determine what is important and write this song. So his education has worked!

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

With the amount of people retiring on the poverty line, I think there is room for some additional subjects to steer those who are interested away from that situation. But i dont think schools enlighten students to the pension/superannuation reality of it simply not gonna be enough to have a great retirement. Don't get me wrong I think school is important, just would like to see a few extra subjects introduced that could have a powerful impact.

Just my opinion.

bob shovel likes this.
  12. Gockie

The consumer law stuff... everybody should be doing say, 20 hours of school education on that! I only studied it as part of a professional accounting course at uni. But it's very powerful stuff everybody should know imo.

13. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

I think this guy might be from the UK but a lot of the stuff he mentioned is actually taught in australia.

Heres a summary for the year 10 economics curriculum in victoria

The Humanities - Economics - Level 10

'as students work towards the achievement of Level 10 standards in Economics, they develop their understanding of how the Australian economy is managed, particularly within the international economic context. They analyse how macroeconomic and microeconomic policies and programs advanced by governments and other institutions affect them and their fellow citizens. They examine the role of exchange, trade and globalisation in influencing Australia’s standard of living. They develop an understanding of enterprise attributes and skills, and describe the impact of innovation and enterprise on the economy and society.

Students investigate the relationship between economic growth, ecological sustainability and the standard of living, and explore what it means to be an ethical producer and consumer. They begin to reflect on the role of values in the economic decision making of producers, consumers and governments.

They develop skills in using economic reasoning, including cost-benefit analysis, to research economic issues and propose solutions for economic problems of global significance. They research economic problems and argue the validity or otherwise of their own hypotheses. Economic problems could include examples such as why the price of a can of soft drink varies depending on where it is sold; whether welfare is a right or a privilege; and whether tolls should be charged on new freeways. Such research assists students in understanding, clarifying and justifying values and attitudes about issues affecting the economy, society and the environment.

Students extend their personal financial literacy skills and understanding about the role of savings and investment. They examine vocational pathways and education and training requirements, considering possible work and career options. They develop skills and strategies for transition to employment and further education and training, including job seeking, job application and interview skills.'

14. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

you'll be increasing the number of tribunals hearings and warranty claims :)

15. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

Problem is, 20 hours is almost a terms worth of teaching for a humanities subject. So while consumer law is being taught all term theres no history, geography or any other economics topic being taught.

16. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

You don't want people to know to much!! Sheeple keep the economy turning, people need need to buy crap, pay tax and importantly rent! Amongst other things so we don't have to!

I love Pythagoras, anyone knock him and there will be trouble!

School needs to teach a broad basic taste of a wide area of topics. Everyone's tastes are different. I hated English and Shakespeare but can understand the idea behind it being in the curriculum.

I definately think things can be improved though! But to say subjects are useless isn't usually the case, it's part of the world we live in,in some form so will lead in to other skills or areas

158, Eric Wu and Sackie like this.
  17. Gockie

Hmmm... what was the point in studying Shakespeare again? I'd much rather have had conversational Chinese as a subject.

18. Gockie

Probably true, but also retailers wont be able to get away with selling any dodgy goods without facing a backlash.

19. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

don't they have chinese subjects in NSW year 12? VCE had chinese, indonesian etc back to late 90s early 2000s. all the asian targetted schools also got after school chinese language classes
    i did indonesian in year 12 (damn wish i could read and write better chinese)

Sackie likes this.
  20. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

There's a lot of language options now.

Shakespeare as annoying as his legacy may be it does teach a multitude of things, essay writing :mad:, script/story writing, metaphors etc, debating, discussing, use of language, poetry, the arts, theatre, writing styles,drama,

WattleIdo likes this.