School Catchment questions

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Propty, 18th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propty

Propty Member

Hello Experts,

If someone moves out from certain school zone and relocate to other surbur
    Is school eligible to push the enrolled kids out of school?
    Is there any gov reference about this rule?

Thank you

2. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

evening @Property, (not sure about WA), in NSW, once a kid is enrolled into a public school, even the kid moves out of the area, the school is unable to push him/her out ( when I checked a few month ago).

maybe give the Department of Education a call to clarify.

3. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Not sure on any other wa school, but we discussed with our school admin last year. We can move out of the area and remain at the school.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Generally you will be allowed to stay at the school. There might be some push back if you then try and enroll a younger sibling later on down the track from the new address but generally they'll take them too.
    Plenty of people need to move and families who rent can't always get a new rental in the catchment and fall outside the catchment. Schools recognise that it's best for kids to have stability and stay at the school.
    On the flipside there are plenty of people that get a rental in the catchment, enrol then after awhile move out of catchment to somewhere cheaper but keep their kids there.

KayTea likes this.
  5. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

There was an article in the paper about this a few months back (in sydney). Some of the larger, very popular schools did an audit on the addresses of their current students and found that over 50% lived outside of catchment. These are schools that generally don't take out of area kids.
    There's talk of investigating families who may never have lived in catchment but fudged their address and having those families asked to leave the school. Apparently one house in the Hills had 12 families use that address to get into the local school.

6. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

I think Brisbane State High requests you sign a document which allows them to request you move you kids to your catchment due to the high demand of the current catchment.
    Have not seen the actual doc though, anyone has first hand experience?

7. Propty

Propty Member

Thank you everyone for the reply.
    Is there any government website reference about kids can stay in school even family move out of the catchment area?

8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I think you'll find it's more policed on a case-by-case basis depending on the local situation.

You might want to call the school and ask for their policy on the matter.

Phase2 likes this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I believe some schools ask for rates notice and if you are renting I guess the lease would be required (to stop several families using one place).

I would call the school itself, anonymously if you need to, and ask them directly.

KayTea likes this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My niece (year 3) was given for homework: "Write down the streets you would walk on to get to school".

I said to my sister her daughter should write: "We live in Mt Druitt. I take 2 trains and a bus to get to school and so I don't know the names of the streets to get to school. My mum says that the schools near where we live aren't as good..."

Last edited: 19th Mar, 2018
    Blueskies likes this.
  11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I would tell her to write that it isn't safe to walk on the streets but the footpaths would be OK.

12. serendip

serendip Well-Known Member

In NSW the dept of ed is really tightening up, particularly for those schools who are close to capacity. My son's old school is at the point where they cannot take siblings, this is not the principal's choice but just a few more kids will mean they need another class room so the dept is trying to avoid that situation if they can due to space & cost issues. There is still some discretion but much less than there used to be. Even one of the teachers at the school who had 2 other children in the school almost didn't get her kinder child in last year, it was only at the 11th hour they could confirm they could take him without impacting class make up & teacher numbers. I've not heard of anyone actually being forced to leave the school if they move out of area.

13. evalord

evalord Well-Known Member

Makes no sense, they take a lot of kids from outside the catchment.

14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Yes, they do. But only excess places after catchment enrolments.

But those outside catchment have to sit an entrance exam for academic entry, or gain entry through sporting or artistic excellence.
    Marg

15. iloveqld

High-performance school taken to tribunal over catchment crackdown

They already make it hard for people living inside catchment, how do you think living outside catchment is accepted?

However, doing it this also keep the high demand for West End, Highgate Hill and South Bank. Next then to Wishart, Toowong and some other fews.

The higher, the better for me as many families invested somewhere else like areas in the north until they realize that their kids need a good highshool.
    You can always send them to Grammar boys or girls, or by bus, but walking distance to a few top school are always in high demand in terms of investment property.

16. iloveqld

I think that the parent lost the case as well, so you see that if there are too many parent just rent the first year to get the kid in and move out, they are not inside catchment and there still are many in catchment kids on waiting list, something needs to be done.

17. Arnoldus

Arnoldus Well-Known Member

From experience (In Qld), at *most* schools, you only need to be in catchment for when first kid enrols. Once they're accepted, their siblings are allowed to go to same school, even if you move outside catchment. Brisbane State High is an exception to this rule though I think (Enrolment management plans vary slightly)

WA may be totally different.

18. Marg4000

I would recommend caution buying into the Brisbane State a High School catchment unless enrolling in the near future. Land has been purchased in Dutton Park for another high school. Details of catchment and enrolment policy still to be disclosed.

It is inevitable that the BSHS catchment will alter.
    Marg

evalord and Arnoldus like this.
  19. evalord

evalord Well-Known Member

Dutton park area would be the first one to go. I wonder how that's going to impact the local property prices.

20. Marg4000

Look, it’s hard to say. They may also cut a chunk of Highgate Hill and even West End out of BSHS catchment.

Then again, they could also make BSHS entirely selective and cut out catchment entry altogether.

I would not be paying a premium anywhere on the assumption it will remain in BSHS catchment.

Obviously it will impact on values.
    Marg